⋅──⊱༺  🩺🫀💋 ༻⊰──⋅

   "THERE ARE FIFTEEN AMBULANCES ON THE WAY," Owen told the group of doctors that were standing in the ambulance bay, all of them clad in bright yellow trauma gowns. "Maybe more to come. First one is three minutes out."

Sage fidgeted with the blue gloves on her hands, her gaze trained on the ground. She was still shaken, and that was clear despite her best efforts to hide it.

People ...people... our own trauma is fresh, and we are going to have feelings today, and there is no shame in that," Chief Webber began. "What I want to say is, what we went through six months ago, they are going through right now, which makes them our brothers and sisters... which makes them fellow travelers, which makes them our own. So to the very best of our ability, we are gonna do our work first. And you're gonna have your feelings later."

Lexie was still sniffling, wiping the tears from her face every few seconds.

"Grey." Owen turned to look at Lexie.

"I'm fine, I'm fine," she insisted, though her voice and tear stained face betrayed her.

"Go to the pit, make sure we're stocked," Mark instructed, also turning to look at her. "Call the blood bank—"

"I'm fine." Lexie cut him off, her tone more insistent this time.

"Call the blood blank and tell them to give us all the O-neg they have," Mark continued, ignoring her. Lexie gave up, sniffled, and went back inside.

Jackson reached forward and took Sage's hand in his, squeezing it slightly. He wasn't sure if he was trying to comfort her or himself, but the two stood there, gripping each other's hands as the ambulances began pulling in.

⋅──⊱༺  🩺🫀💋 ༻⊰──⋅