⸻ twelve

season 7, episode 1 - with you i'm born again

⋅──⊱༺  🩺🫀💋 ༻⊰──⋅

     SAGE CHANG SURVIVED the Seattle Grace-Mercy West shooting, but not without trauma. After the events, she struggled with insomnia (and when she could sleep it was short lived because of nightmares), anxiety, and PTSD, and all of those problems manifested themselves into a new haircut. Her hair was cut to a couple inches below her shoulders and she dyed it dark brown.

After the shooting, Jackson and April moved into Meredith's house, and despite the fact that he had his own room, Jackson spent most nights in Sage's room, trying to get her to fall asleep. It never really worked, but she enjoyed his company.

They weren't together, not officially, even after that 3rd kiss. Sage was still convinced she couldn't handle it, so for now, they were just good friends that slept in the same bed. It was complicated, especially with the way gossip spread through the hospital, but it worked, and for now, that was all that mattered.

Sage shot up in bed, covered in a layer of sweat, her breathing labored. She thought tonight would be a good night, because after the long day she'd had, she was exhausted and ready to sleep. But of course, it wasn't. Why would it be?"

She looked over at Jackson, who was sleeping peacefully, and frowned. She didn't want to wake him, even though he told her to, so she decided to just go downstairs. She quietly slipped out of bed and grabbed the Eagles sweatshirt she stole from her brother, slipping it on.

She made her way downstairs, careful not to wake anyone else as she did. She walked into the entryway and stared at the clock on the wall. It read 2:37. Great, only three and a half more hours until she had to be awake for work.

"You're up late, Smalls," a voice said, causing her to jump. She turned around and saw Alex sitting by the counter, shoving pieces of the blueberry pie she made the day before into his mouth.

"I could say the same thing to you," she quipped, grabbing a fork and sliding onto the stool next to him.

"What are you doing up?" he asked, stabbing the pie with his own fork. Sage shrugged and he rolled his eyes, obviously not buying it.

"Nightmares?" he guessed 

"Yeah," she admitted, taking a bite of pie.

"Pretty boy no help?" he teased. He obviously knew about them, and their sleeping arrangements, so he liked to tease her about it.

Alex was growing fonder of Jackson and he was getting used to the idea of him with Sage, even if the pair insisted they weren't a couple.

"He's sleeping," she explained. "I didn't want to wake him."