"So glad Jeremy and I could be of service."

"So am I. Personally, I didn't think you had it in you."

"Why does everyone think people from Coterie are boring and weak?"

He laughs. "Because you guys are."

"Why? Because I haven't killed anybody?"

"Because you've never been put in a position where you can justify killing somebody. You're probably mortified that there's a possibility you'll be placed in Inimical."

"You guys are constantly at war. Anyone placed there would be lucky to survive six months after graduation. Who wants those odds?"

"I do."

It's a good thing Jeremy isn't back with my lunch yet because if I had something in my mouth, it'd be all over the table.

"Fighting to survive is all I've ever known." He shrugs. "I'm good at it by now. I wouldn't know what to do in a province where I don't have to constantly watch my back and be looking over my shoulder."

I guess wanting what you're used to and always being ready for something to happen makes sense, especially given his past, but I'd think living in safety would still be at least slightly desirable.

"I'm expecting to be pretty good at this whole Collation thing from it, too, so that's a plus."

"That's fair." I laugh.

"What's fair?" Jeremy asks as he sits down next to me, setting our trays on the table.

"Nothing." I shake my head.

"Aw, he grabs your lunch." Nick fakes a smile. "That is so cute. Seriously, you guys are adorable."

Jeremy rolls his eyes. "Get outta here, Nick."

"No worries, I gotta grab my lunch. I'll see you later, Sheet Girl." He gets up from the table.

"I'm really starting to hate that guy." Jeremy shakes his head.

"He's harmless."

"He's annoying. He's always hanging around you."

"No, he's not."

He shakes his head again. "You're blind, and he likes you."

"No way. But even if he did, I have you. There's nothing for you to worry about."

"I know that."

I look down at my tray. He selected a wrap that appears to contain chicken, lettuce, tomato, and mayo, a green apple, a chocolate chip cookie, and a small bottle of orange juice. They must've had some left from breakfast.

"Thank you for grabbing my lunch," I say.

"You're welcome, babe." He kisses my forehead. "I can't promise the apple will be as good as Roy's."

"I'm certain it won't." I frown at that as I pick up my wrap and take my first bite. "Wrap's good, though," I say through a mouthful of food.

He laughs. "So ladylike."

"Me? A lady? Gross." I roll my eyes.

"Hey," Andrea says as she sits down across from me, the smell of her sweat hitting me immediately.

"You smell, too." I grimace.

"Thanks." She laughs. "Did you tell her about today's training?"

"I did." Jeremy nods. "I can't wait for her training to start."

"You're gonna smell disgusting."

"Lucky me." I roll my eyes. "They really should provide perfume with our deodorant."