Part 21

Looking back to Ewan and Jemma, you find them both tense and glaring up at the enemy. Ewan has given up the partial transformation, fur sprouting along his whole morphing body as his snout elongates and a growl bubbles in his throat. Jemma's battle-readiness is less obvious, but you feel a crackle in the air and swear her eyes glow, but it could be a trick of her light orb. At your movement, their attention bounces to you. Ewan nods encouragingly, though Jemma's eyes quickly dart back up to Lachlan and the other vampires.

Briefly, regret thrums at how you've pulled the two of them into this fight, but you turn back to Tabaeus. You all knew the potential risks.

Softly, you step closer to Tabaeus and finally take in their state.

Nude and sprawled on pillows, manacles on their wrists and ankles, Tabaeus stares listlessly at the ceiling, seemingly unseeing even the other vampires crowded on the overhead walkway. As you come closer, their eyes swing slowly toward you. A lump catches in your throat at the sight of their red-rimmed eyes, the fresh bites on their body. Something about their flesh seems more sickly.

"Oh, is it feeding time?" Their words are so hollow and distant, it takes your mind a moment to realize Tabaeus is the one who said them. They push themselves upright, languidly standing in a smooth movement.

As they near you, you recall how their height once terrified you. They loomed over you that first meeting just as they loom over you now, but your heart twists as you blink back tears. You never thought you'd see them again. Relief and dismay clamber through your head as you see Tabaeus whole but harmed.

Tabaeus reaches out a hand and you unthinkingly mirror them. Just as your hand is about to graze their shoulder, theirs grabs you roughly by the hair. Pain arcs over your scalp as they yank your head forcefully to the side, baring your throat to them.

"That is not a meal," Lachlan drawls, though dark amusement twitches at the corner of his lips.

"Is it not?" Tabaeus pauses, their red eyes flickering up and behind you to where the other vampire stands.

"No, this bloodbag seems to think you know them." That amusement has turned to cruel glee and you hear a barely contained laugh catch in Lachlan's throat. A wave of titters arise from the other vampires, like a colony of squeaking bats.

"No, I do not know any bloodbags." Tabaeus blinks before regarding you with an empty laziness, still holding your head at an angle. You're not even sure they're trying to remember.

Too many words and feelings gum up your throat. As you struggle to swallow, only three words break through your lips, "Tabaeus, please remember."

The use of their name makes them pause, their eyebrows ticking upward. Encouraged, a slew of words breaks past the lump in your throat as your hands curl around the wrist of their hand still buried in your hair, "You've lived with me for months, Tabaeus. We've gone shopping together and you've bought so many clothes. And you brought Liuva and Bjarka, your imp sugar gliders, off a man on a subway. We bought a house and you've made friends with me and Ewan and..."

You trail off as the words choke up your throat. Tears swell in your eyes, but try as you might to blink them back, they overcome the edge of your lashes. Instead you sniffle and nod toward Ewan, hoping Tabaeus will understand.

Their eyes flicker in the werewolf's direction. You believe their eyes meet, for Tabaeus's pupils first constrict then dilate. Like a cat spotting a dog before realizing they're an old friend. Tabaeus's attention jerks back to you.

Complicated expressions flit over their face. Disgust, intrigue, denial... You watch, hoping to spot recognition or fondness. Anything to let you know they didn't truly forget. If such an emotion crosses their eyes, however, you do not spot it.