Chapter 15: Your Impatient Husband

Start from the beginning

"Believe what you will. Do not approach me again."

The door handle began to turn, and Daniela moved quickly away to the window. She pretended to look outside as Nicole entered the room.

"Are you ready, my lady?" Nicole asked.

"Yes, just a moment." She straightened out some papers on her desk that didn't need it before turning around.

"I think we'll be having cold roast lamb at luncheon today. Not my favorite, but I'm sure Marie will be pleased." Nicole spoke cheerily, though her expression was strained. Daniela decided not to say anything. Perhaps Nicole did not want her to know.

They went to eat, and that afternoon Daniela finished the interviews with Captain Phillips. It was starting to look like the killer would never be caught. Daniela watched the captain, but he showed no obvious signs of being hurt by his conversation with Nicole. He was less lively, perhaps, but that could be because of the failure of their efforts.

In the evening, Daniela asked only Nicole to help her undress, sending her other ladies away.

"You haven't heard anything, have you?" Daniela asked. "Rumors, I mean, about Lord Sutton. What have the noblewomen been saying?"

"Hmm, nothing in particular." Nicole thought carefully. "Marie didn't like the man much, and Paulina always thought he behaved uncivilly. He was a bachelor, you know, and some of the women at court had spurned his advances, although none of them truly hated him. Everyone seems genuinely grieved at his death."

"You will let me know anything you hear, won't you? I'm afraid I am out of options."

"You know I will, Dani." Nicole smiled. "Don't worry, I'm sure the truth will become clear soon. Thomas—I mean—" She looked down. "Captain Phillips said that someone will come forward soon, and that—" Her voice cracked and she couldn't get her words out.

Daniela held Nicole's hands and took her to sit on the edge of the bed. She ventured gently, "Do you like him very much?"

Nicole kept her head down as tears pooled and rolled down her cheeks. She nodded. Daniela pulled her in and hugged her close.

"Daniela, I love him." Nicole broke into a sob.

Daniela held her and stroked her fair hair. "Does he feel the same way about you?"

"No. Maybe, I don't know." She wiped her eyes uselessly. "It doesn't matter, because I've rejected him and insulted him and now he must hate me!"

"No, no, my love, I am sure he does not hate you." Daniela rubbed Nicole's tears with her thumbs to help her efforts. "But why did you do it? Because he is a commoner?"

Nicole nodded. "Even if he did love me, I cannot marry him. I thought I should turn him away now before it was too late. Before it really hurt him. But now that I have..." She pressed her forehead into Daniela's shoulder.

"There is no law against marriage between a noblewoman and a commoner," Daniela said. "It would not be easy, and you would lose your title, but it has been done before."

"But my family... You know I have no money and no land to inherit. My title is all that I have. Daniela, I am afraid."

"I know, I understand. Actually, I commend you for your caution. If I were in your position, I might do exactly as you have done." Daniela leaned back and looked into Nicole's puffy eyes. "But you and I are very different creatures, and I would not have you live as me for the world. You have always been much braver than me, you know."

Nicole smiled. "That's not true."

"It is! Do you remember the beehive we found in the cloisters?"

"Of course I do. If I had listened to you and stayed away I would not have gotten stung."

"If the world were filled only with people who were afraid to get stung, there would be no honey."

"Do you think I was wrong, then? To reject him?" Nicole asked.

"Well, I'm not really sure. I think that if he is a man worthy enough to take such a risk with, he will come to understand you and forgive you." Daniela smoothed the mussed hair around Nicole's face. "It is not the end. Take some time to see how you feel."

"You know, if I were to marry him, I could not be your lady-in-waiting anymore."

Daniela grinned. "Yes, I know. But you would still be my friend. Besides, you should not worry about me. I am well settled here. The dowager queen is so kind to me, and I have Lynette and Marie, and even Paulina takes good care of me."

Nicole laughed. Paulina was not the most pleasant to be around, but no one could deny she did her duty well.

"And I have Charles, now." Daniela blushed to use his first name.

"Yes, you certainly do!" Nicole grabbed a cushion and hit Daniela playfully.

"Treason! I am your queen!" Daniela reached for a pillow of her own and bopped Nicole on the head. Soon the two were laughing cheerfully.

"Stay here tonight, won't you? We can pretend it's our old room in the convent," Daniela said.

"With the drafty window and that squeaky door? Ah yes, I remember it fondly." Nicole threw herself back on the bed.

Daniela smiled impishly. "I can open up the window for you if it makes you more comfortable."