2

I kept open the double doors of my room while I unpacked. The salty smell of the air was refreshing, especially after having been on a flight for so long.

I filled the closet and dressers with my things and then organized my makeup on the bathroom counter. Once my toiletries and jewelry were laid out, I checked the time. It had only been an hour. They hadn't given me a clear indication as to when dinner would be, but I figured they'd come to get me when they were ready to eat.

I was too exhausted to explore the area today, and instead, flung myself onto the bed for a nap. I'd been up since 2 am LA time and needed a rest.

I changed out of my airport clothes and wrapped a light blanket around myself. I could hear the faint sounds of people in town chatting and bicycle bells dinging. It lulled me to sleep in no time.

When I awoke, it was already night outside. There were little lights illuminating the pool, and I walked towards the main house. The entire time, I was in awe at the clarity of the stars in the sky. In LA, the lights made it impossible to see so clearly. I opened the door to the main house and found my grandparents laughing with glasses of red wine and a slice of cake between them.

"There she is," Pampa greeted. "Come join us."

"We tried to wake you, but you were pretty exhausted. We set a plate aside for you in the kitchen," Mema explained. I must've been really tired if I'd slept through them trying to coax me out for a meal. I was usually a light sleeper.

I yawned and retrieved the plate of chicken piccata. I tossed it into the microwave for a few seconds and sat down beside them. I hummed when the first bite hit my tongue. It was delicious.

"How was book club?" I asked.

"So fun! Your grandfather purposefully makes up the funniest interpretations just to get a rise out of everyone. And they just keep on inviting him back anyway," she joked.

I watched him as she told the story, and he beamed with pride. It was evident that he relished being in the spotlight for his humor.

"What are you reading now?" I queried.

"Well, as a group we thought it would be fun to read the high school's reading list. You know, revisit some old favorites. So we're currently on The Great Gatsby."

"Oh! I liked that one," I smiled.

"Me too," she grinned. My grandfather wasn't paying much attention to the conversation now and was much more interested in the cake on the table.

I eyed it as he took another bite and Mema leaned in to whisper, "I saved you a slice. It's in the fridge." She pulled away with a wink, and I continued eating the pasta, excited to give it a try once I was through with my entree.

"What do you two have planned tomorrow?"

"On Sundays, we usually go to church in the morning and then to lunch with our friends. I know that's not your thing, but you're welcome to join us."

Not keen on enduring an hour-long service, I suggested, "Can we meet for dinner at Kelley's bar instead?"

They agreed, so with plans for tomorrow made, they excused themselves to head up to bed. I continued to eat and put my plate away before retrieving the cake from the fridge to take back to my room with me. I sat with my feet in the pool and enjoyed the chocolate layers and cherry drizzle. I wondered if every meal here would taste this good.

When I finished, I discarded the container and washed my hands. Since I'd just taken a long nap, I wasn't exactly tired. I decided to shower, hoping the water would exhaust me and put me back into my normal routine since I always showered at night, but it did the opposite. The shower only served to wake me up further, and I felt increasingly restless as I attempted to force myself back to sleep. Unable to bear the thought of lying there tossing and turning for hours, I quickly changed clothes and made the decision to go for a walk around the area instead.

It was a Saturday, so there were still a few bars open with music playing and laughter bellowed from inside. I walked past the open doors, not exactly in the mood for a party, but smiled at the camaraderie that the little island always displayed.

I headed towards the ocean and trembled in the frigid night air while cursing myself for forgetting how necessary layers were once it got dark here. Despite the chill, I was determined to reach the water, and I trudged forward through the sand. There were a few people out on their own evening walks, and a few couples exploring hand-in-hand.

Nobody was near me though, so I kicked off my sandals when I was just a few steps away and squealed when the first bit of ice cold water touched my toes. It was freezing, and I jumped back, stumbling right into someone.

He let out a low laugh as he caught me, and my skin felt warm where he touched. "You okay?"

His voice was vaguely familiar, and I whipped around to face him. His warm brown eyes widened in surprise when he saw me and a smile played on his lips, "Emma?"

The moment he said my name, I connected the face to a memory. During my childhood summers here, there was another family we invariably ended up spending time with, as their kids were the same age as us. One of the boys and I grew close since we were both the oldest. We'd play for long hours during the day and used walkie-talkies to keep in touch at night since our rentals were always nearby.

"Chris," I remembered with a smile.

He helped me stand up straight and looked me over, "It's been what? 15 years?"

"Something like that," I grinned. "How've you been?" He'd always been shorter than me as a kid but he'd gotten a bit taller...and a lot more in shape.

"I've been good," he flashed a dimpled smile at me. "I started a gym on the island, so I live here now."

"Oh wow! That's amazing!" When I was growing up, it had always been my dream to live here. It hadn't been realistic though since no tech companies operated here. I could've worked remote, but I'd been so invested in the startup I worked at that I never even seriously considered leaving.

"Yea! You should come by sometime. It's out by the Stop & Shop."

"I will," I nodded. I knew exactly which one he meant. I recalled shoplifting candy bars in the middle of our multi-hour long bike rides. The wind blew, and I shivered, crossing my arms to keep warm.

He smirked but removed his sweatshirt and gave it to me. I tried to refuse, but he flung it over my shoulder and began walking away before I could return it again. I gave in and threw it on, instantly warmed up by the fleece lining and lingering body heat.

"I've got to get home. I was just taking the long way," he winked. We always did the same when we were kids and got scolded by our parents for being out after dark. "But let's meet for coffee or something, yeah? And you can return my jacket," he laughed.

"Sure! And thank you!" I responded when he started walking away.

"It was great seeing you, Emma. The island's missed ya!" he called out.

I giggled and retreated from the water towards the place where I'd discarded my sandals.