I didn’t mean to break Vanessa’s phone. It was an accident. I guess I should start at the beginning. It was a normal, boring day at school. The teachers droned on and on about stuff we probably won’t be using in the future. It was the fourth period when the bell rang, signaling the end of school. Halls were crammed with students trying to get out of the stuffy school and into the cool, spring air. My best friend Olivia and I were chatting about our day when Vanessa showed up. Vanessa is the school’s queen bee. She wore a Gucci shirt with black jeans and Ugg boots. Wrapped around her waist was a Louis Vuitton bag. She got whatever she wanted and loved, making other people feel miserable about themselves. On top of that, she was dating the most popular guy in school and had all the teachers wrapped around her annoyingly perfect finger.

“Hey Olivia, the homeless shelter called and said they want their clothes back.” Some of the kids around us snickered. I could see the hurt in Olivia’s eyes. Everyone was surprised when someone shouted,

"Vanessa. This needs to stop."

Pushing through the crowd of kids was her boyfriend, Lucas.

"You can’t keep making people feel bad about themselves. It’s not right. I should’ve listened to my parents when they said something wasn’t right about you. I know this is sudden, but I’m breaking up with you."

Slowly, Vanessa turned around and was disappointed when she saw Lucas holding hands with Olivia.

“You’re leaving me for that?” she cried. 

“Yes. Olivia is smart, kind, and funny, and she lights up the room with her smile. Unlike you, she cares about other people’s feelings. Looking at you now, I don’t know what I saw in you.” Lucas replied. He grabbed Olivia’s hand and gestured for me to follow. I followed them and bumped into John. By now, everyone was annoyed by John’s antics. He brushed the dirt off his jeans and started cartwheeling across the lawn. And to top it all off, John was supposedly the smartest person in the school, yet many people question that. Lucas, Olivia, and I walked around the parking lot, chatting about our day. It felt kind of awkward not to lie. Usually it was just me and Olivia, but now we have Lucas. I knew from the beginning that Lucas had a crush on Olivia. He was always talking about her, eyeing her, and complimenting her every day. I tried to tell Olivia, but she didn’t believe me. I decided to leave the new couple alone and made my way to my car when I found Vanessa. Vanessa was on her phone. I quietly crept over and looked at her phone screen. She was on Instagram spreading nasty rumors about Olivia, saying that she bribed Lucas into breaking up with her and that the real reason Lucas is dating Olivia is because she threatened him. All logical thinking was lost. No one messes with my best friend. Noticing that she hadn’t posted it yet, I ripped the phone out of her hand, deleted the post, and then smashed it.

“Why would you do that!?!?” Vanessa screamed.

“No one, not even you, messes with my best friend. You got that. Otherwise, next time, it won’t be the phone I break. You may think I’m a good, quiet girl, but cross the line, and I can and will make your life miserable.” I shouted back before continuing towards my car, smiling at the shocked expression on Vanessa’s face.

​​​​​​​