"She was promised to me first."

"It's no longer a betrothal if there's only one willing party."

"I'm willing to wager that if you ask the only other right party, she will take me." He uncrossed his legs and titled his head to the side.

Cassian lightly chuckled as he slowly shook his head. "It's not possible. The Emperor will not allow it. The only way he will is if Lennox backs out, and let me tell you now that the man is a selfish bastard. Anything he considers his own, he keeps."

Emory nodded, taking the information slowly. "We'll see to that."

Cassian seemed skeptical at first, but the longer he stared straight into Emory's eyes, the smile on his lips stretched further, deepening the dimple under his left eye. "I won't stop you. I'm not the brother who would do so." He leaned back in his chair and sighed. "In fact, I'm curious to find out what you can do, Your Majesty."

Emory stayed quiet because Cassian's face turned serious. He waited as the man ran his gaze up and down, as if they were equals.

"However, whatever you do, do not rekindle my sister's hope. That's all she's been doing her entire life. She knew she'd have a different life from the rest of us, and she had always been proud of that." Cassian leaned slightly forward, eyes boring into Emory's. "The day our father announced the end of your betrothal, she locked herself in her chambers. When she came out a week later, she wasn't the same. They were subtle changes. She's good at keeping things to herself. I only noticed because I'm not like Steffan. I know my sisters deeper than any of the other princes. The news changed something inside her. Deeper within her soul. She was dead inside because the reality she knew and was proud of her entire life was suddenly snatched away."

Cassian paused and continued to stare at Emory, no longer the even-tempered man who had walked into the room earlier. His dark brown eyes glinted with warning and danger.

"If you want her, work on it on your own. Do not make her hope, because I don't know what else will be left of her if you fail." A small smile curled the corner of his lips again. "Only come to her when you're free to claim her."

Emory nodded. "Fair enough. I'll do whatever I can."

Cassian scoffed, the cynicism returning. "How? Talk to my father?"

Emory shrugged. "He would love to see his daughter happy."

Cassian's sarcastic laughter echoed around the room. "You're a funny man, Your Majesty. Quite funny, indeed."

***

Hours later, Emory was staring blankly out the window, hands in his pockets.

If you want her, work on it on your own. Do not make her hope, because I don't know what else will be left of her if you fail.

His gaze focused on the distant Ivory House, his lips pursed.

Only come to her when you're free to claim her.

He knew what he had to do, and he knew he couldn't get Florence involved. He couldn't imagine how she'd feel if he failed.

"I suggest, Your Majesty, that we facilitate the early departure of the Gavarian imperial family from Sutherland."

Emory faced his advisers. Seven honorable men who had been of great help since he ascended to the throne. Seven powerful figures who had so much to lose if the kingdom fell. Of course, they would want to keep their power.

"This could be part of a bigger plot against Sutherland," the oldest of the group said. "Remember, they still are friends with France."

He joined the group, sitting in his winged chair. This had once been his father's office. Then, it was his brother who was part of the group. He, Emory, would just sit there, quietly in one corner, as these men devised plans for the kingdom. None had ever guessed the queen was doing. Not even him.