Chapter Two: We explode something (how fun)

"That can't be true!" Sophia fretted. "How do you know he has it?"

"I—" Wait. That's a good point, actually. "Well, what else would he be doing? And who else would stop the transformation? No one's that powerful unless you have the infinity gem.

I just realized the infinity gem sounded like the infinity stones from Marvel 😭

"Yeah, but it could be any of our enemies! We have tons of them! The tigers, wolves, dogs, and even the OutCats could be behind this!" Sophie added. I sighed. She had a point.

yes there are more species

no i will not tell you about them

because where's the fun in that

"Alright, it could be anyone. But first things first, how do we get out of here?" I looked around the void. "There's no door."

"Of course there's no door! We're in a freaking hole of nothingness!" She facepalmed. "Sometimes I wonder if I should be the older sister."

I grinned sheepishly. "I think I have something in my bag..." I rummaged through my knapsack and pulled out a blue potion.

That wasn't a reference. I just liked blue liquid for some reason. Don't ask

"You think a potion is going to work?" Sophia snorted, probably at my stupidity. "Please." A mischievous smile quirked my lips as I took out a couple of ingredients.

"Oh, the potion itself won't make it work. The explosion will, though."

"WHAT?!"

I sniffed. "Don't act all surprised, sis. You know I love exploding potions." I chucked in a couple of random things, including a pencil eraser. Rule 1 of making potions: if you want something to explode, add an eraser. It always works for some odd reason.

"How is exploding something going to make the portal work?" She asked, exasperated.

"Magical auras and the force of physics." I replied in an obvious tone. "Duh." She dragged a hand down her face.

"And if it doesn't work?"

"Then we'll be trapped here for all eternity." 

On that happy thought, I poured in some glitter. What? Glitter makes everything better.

no, fifth grade me. it does not. 

"And you're ok with that?!" Sophia asked desperately. "What if the army is getting attacked??" I thought about it for a moment. 

Sure, it was possible. Highly possible. But there was also a possibility that we were being monitored, so we needed to keep our cool. I took out a sheet of paper and a pen and started scribbling down something.

"We're being watched."

Sofia bristled a bit, but didn't show any other sign of discomfort. 

"Let me just..." I sprinkled a bit of random stuff I didn't know the name of and plugged my ears as it started to rattle.

"What's happening?!" Sophia yelled.

"Take cover!" I shouted, running as far as I could from the beaker, grabbing my satchel with it. "It's going to blow!" 

"If we die, this is your fault!" She shrieked. I rolled my eyes.

"YOLO!" I laughed as the beaker exploded with a BOOM. Blue mist snaked out of the broken glass and covered the ceiling.

"Did it work?" Sophia whispered. 

"Not yet." I set a blaze of fire in the air and launched it at the smoke. "But it will soon!" The fire burned away the mist, revealing the wormhole moving once more.

"You did it!" Sophia cheered. "But...what was that fire for?"

"Fire mixed with magical mist counteracts any spell." I replied. "Now whoever was watching us can screw off." She smiled as we reached the end of the galactic tunnel. 

"Last one to reach the Queen's palace is a rotten mouse bone!" She leaped through the portal to the alternate universe, where the landscaping of the cat's territory gleamed in the sunlight. Our forms immediately shifted, Sophia turning into a tortoiseshell kitty (she hates being called that) and me myself being a ginger tabby.

-_-

no words for this

"Hey! That's not fair—" I protested, before I saw the fields of the cat territory.

Blood. Everywhere. Wolf fur, cat fur, claw marks gouging the ground, and visible signs of a battle.

The wolves had been here.

"What the—?!" Sophia stepped back. "What happened?"

"An attack." I said grimly. "No, no, no, no, no, no. We're too late." Sophia looked like she wanted to say something really wise and smart. Instead, she chirped, "I'm hungry." I shot her a withering gaze.

"Now is not the time to think about your stomach." I snapped. "Our friends might've been killed out of this universe and you're thinking about lunch?!" She shrugged.

"The wolves wouldn't kill our friends." She sniffed a claw mark in the ground. "They're going to hold them hostage to lure us to our death. Most likely. Also, we need to be fit for fighting. We need to eat. More importantly, mom tried to feed me broccoli so I skipped lunch." 

"I—I guess that's reasonable." I admitted. "But what are we going to do? Everyone here got kidnapped!" Sophia perked her ears.

"Shh." She ducked behind a bush, beckoning me with her tail. "I hear something." I pricked my ears, straining to hear something. 

Pawsteps. We weren't alone.

once more as a tiny lil fifth grader i loved cliffhangers

lol