Chapter 12 - Poolside

Aurora's POV

My phone rings, startling me from my book. It's my day off, so I decided to get some good relaxation in before going to see the boys later. I glance over and see that Acyn is calling me and I smile. Picking it up, I hear his smooth deep voice on the other end. "Darling."

"What can I do for you, Acyn?"

"We're throwing a party this weekend at the house, Kaede and I wanted to officially extend an invite."

"You want help planning it out too, don't you?" I ask with a small chuckle, and I hear him sigh before letting out a laugh. "That obvious huh?"

"A little, but I'm happy to help."

- - -

The day of the party, I walk around the backyard of the house, smiling. "I think having it all back here is the best choice. You know your mom would freak if anyone broke anything inside." I state to Kaede and Acyn and they nod in agreement. "We won't have to worry about that when we have our own house to deal with." Kaede says as he runs his hand through his hair.

"You'll care more when it's your own stuff getting broken." I state matter-of-factly and he chuckles. "I guess you're right with that. Pointing in front of me, I explain about some of the plans I made. "I already arranged for the DJ and the bartender. DJ will be here where we're standing and that way the music will travel to the back of the yard."

"They both should be arriving at about 5pm to set up and get ready."

I look out to the entirety of the yard and envision large groups of people spread all throughout, music blasting and drinks flowing. The yard can easily fit a good 150 or more people due to its size, but there's nowhere near that amount of people coming as far as I know. It's almost like a fairytale, a lush scene of greenery with modern touches, just as I remember from spending my time here before.

I always enjoyed the path to the garden and greenhouse, a little lined path on the left side of the yard that is filled with a wide assortment of flowers, trees, shrubs, and a few small benches to sit on. I spent a lot of time there in my thoughts when I was younger. The other side of the yard is where the large pool is located, surrounded by white interlocking stone and a full gazebo, and sitting area with a fire pit table and the outside bar.

Everything is intricate and detailed to perfection as always. Streamlined, clean.

"Thank you for helping us." Kaede says as he approaches me from behind, wrapping his arms around me and squeezing tightly. I smile and lean back into his embrace. "Anytime, you know that."

"Of course we do." Kaede nips my ear and I shiver.

"We wanted to tell you that this party is going to be somewhat of a test for you and others in our close circle." As Kaede releases me, I turn to face the boys and look at them, puzzled. "What do you mean?"

"Many of our old friends will be coming, and we will be telling them of you being our beloved. There's going to be some dislike of the fact that you're human by some of them."

"Why should that matter?" I question, my temper flaring for the briefest of seconds. "It doesn't to majority of them, but some are hardheaded and don't want to accept it. You'll need to show them how strong and resilient you are."

"So, I'm earning their respect in a way?" I question and they nod.

"We really didn't want to have to do this, but it's unfortunately part of being what you are to us." Kaede says, a weariness to his tone that I don't like. Nor him or Acyn should have to worry about my well being in front of their friends.