Chapter 12: Write to Me

Start from the beginning

Duke Pearson's army suffered a great deal of casualties before we arrived. I cannot help but be reminded of the Strife given by God at the beginning of the world, but now I struggle to understand its purpose. I only wish I had left sooner. Perhaps some of this could have been avoided.

How does my mother fare? She can take statecraft very seriously, I hope she is not too demanding in your studies. I am writing to her after this, I will ask her not to treat you like she did me. All those hours of reading...

Please tell me everything you are up to, even if it is nothing at all. The camp is comfortable enough, but I find myself longing to hear anything at all about the castle. I am sorry to have left you alone so soon after your arrival in a new place. Not that I am well-known for making diverting company.

Many of the men in the army are musicians, and some nights they play around the fire. They play many songs that I had never heard before. When I get back, I will ask the court musicians to play them for you to hear.

Sincerely,

Charles

On the back of the parchment were instructions on where to direct her reply, and a short postscript.

When I started to write this letter, I thought it best to act like nothing had happened between us. Now I find I cannot send this without saying something about our last discussion. I am sorry for the way I spoke to you on that day. I invited you to speak freely and then reacted out of pride. I hope my words have not discouraged you from speaking openly in the future.

Daniela found Charles more forthcoming in writing than he was in speech. She was relieved to read his apology, although part of her wished he would say more on the matter. But there was nothing that could be done now that he was away, and hearing about the war being fought made their disagreement feel petty and unimportant.

Whenever they had spoken, Duke Pearson made Daniela feel uncomfortable, and truthfully she had been glad to see him go. She reproached herself now for feeling that way, and wished the whole thing had never happened. How wretched it must be there. Who could these raiders be? Were they pirates, easily scared off, or a more serious invasion?

She pulled out some paper and ink and started to write, but heard a clatter in the shared bedroom. She jumped up and pushed open the door.

"Pardon me, Your Majesty, I didn't know you were here." It was a servant girl. She had knocked the heavy fire poker onto the hearth.

"It's alright, you don't have to stop what you're doing," Daniela said, but the girl was already curtsying and hurrying for the door.

'Please, wait! Stop!" Daniela called.

The maid did as she was asked. "Do you need anything, Your Majesty?"

"No, just... tell me your name."

"My name?"

Daniela nodded.

"My name is Anne, milady, Anne Porthos."

"It is nice to meet you Anne. I did not have any servants when I lived at the Abbey, so it is a little hard to get used to. There are so many here, but I do not know any of them."

Anne just looked at her with a mildly uninterested expression.

"Never mind that. Do not let me keep you from what you're doing. Good day." Daniela left and closed the shared door completely so that Anne might not feel the need to leave.

She sat back down at the writing desk and penned her letter.

Dear Sir,

I am grateful to hear that you have completed your journey, and pray for your continued safety. Everyone here remains safe and well, and hopes for your swift return.

She never lets on, but I know that Queen Imelda is worried for you. I have never met someone with more grace in such a situation. Her attitude and strength guides the mood of the whole castle. I do not mind telling you that I admire her very much.

She must have been much stricter in your studies than she is with mine! We focus mostly on the topics that interest me, and there are not too many hours of reading. Besides, I have always enjoyed studying history. The tax policies of each region can be a little dull, but that would be true no matter who was instructing me.

I have also read some of the books from the shelves in my room. Mostly light reads. You might laugh at me, but right now I am reading 'Faery Stories for Children.' I rarely got to read this sort of thing when I was young. How I wish I had! They are delightful. I do not know how anyone could come up with such ideas.

I am also practicing my riding. I intend to be exceptionally proficient by the time you return. At first I thought I would keep it a secret and shock you with my improvement, but you asked me to tell you everything I am up to, and if I leave that out my days might seem dull. Lynette, one of my ladies-in-waiting, is a skilled rider, and has been my principal teacher. You might remember that she attended many of the hunts after the wedding. She teaches well, but I suspect she grows impatient with my slow progress. Riding comes much more naturally for Nicole than for me. Seeing her now, you would not believe that she and I began learning on the same day.

I was reminded just now of my maid when I was growing up in Brasador, Gianna. She cared for me very much. I missed her often at the Abbey, but I did not think I could write to her. Now I wonder if I could, or if it has been too long. I am not even sure if I would know how to reach her. Is it strange for the Aram queen to write to a maid in Brasador?

There has been no music in the castle since the army left. When you come home, we will have to ask the musicians to play for three days straight to make up for it.

So, has this letter done its job, and reminded you a little of the castle? You asked for the mundane, and I have delivered my finest ramblings. All I ask is that you stay safe and write quickly.

Sincerely,

Daniela