Chapter 11: Departures

Start from the beginning

"You're probably right, but I still don't like the sound of it."

"I'll go on horseback with no more supplies than what I need to get there. If we need anything, I'll write to you. I promise."

Charles sighed. "Very well. But I will send the supplies behind you whether you send word or not. Regardless, you must write as soon as you can."

Leo smiled. "Thank you, you know I will."

They shook hands and Leo left quickly to prepare for his journey. Charles called in servants to notify the other councilors of the development, and to ask the kitchens to pack him food for the journey.

That evening, Charles found himself once again seeing someone off in front of the castle gates. Leo and two knights were mounted on horseback and wore warm cloaks. Charles handed a rolled letter up to Leo.

"For your father," he said. Leo tucked the letter into his cloak and spurred his horse into a gallop.

Charles turned back to the castle, and saw that Daniela was watching from a distance with her ladies Nicole and Lynette. He was surprised to see her there; she had not come out that morning to see her brother. Although, she and Leo had seemed friendly with one another.

"My lady," Charles said, walking up to them. "I should have informed you of what was going on. Duke Pearson has been summoned home to deal with some coastal raiders."

"Yes, there has been a lot of commotion, and news travels quickly." Daniela replied. "Kernwith Abbey is in the Northwest Duchy. That is where Duke Pearson is from, is it not?"

"Ah, there is no danger in that part of the region. The ships have not landed yet, and when they do it will likely be further to the north," Charles said, trying to reassure her.

"I am relieved to hear that." Daniela drew her shawl around herself and went back inside. Charles admired her concern for her old home and friends, but a stubborn thought nagged at him. Leo was... popular, to say the least. Charles trusted Daniela and Leo not to act on such an interest if they felt it, but he was agitated by the mere idea that she might feel it.

Days passed without news from the coast. There was little that could be done, but Charles prepared what he could in case the situation worsened. Leo Pearson was a capable commander, and in all likelihood could manage the situation alone.

Nights became increasingly awkward between Charles and Daniela. He knew what she expected of him, but he could not bring himself to do it, not without knowing that she truly wanted to. Did Daniela even like him? She treated him with respect, certainly, and politeness that could be called friendliness. To Charles, that said more about her character than how she actually felt about him.

One afternoon, Daniela came to see Charles in his study. She was visibly nervous, and struggled to begin what she came to say.

"Your Majesty, forgive me for bringing this up in this manner."

"Whatever it may be, you can speak freely," Charles said with a smile.

"Do you not... do you not mean to lie with me?" She managed to meet his eyes, and held his gaze with resolve.

Charles froze for a moment. He should not have been surprised that she had brought up the matter, but that did not mean he was prepared to respond.

Finally Charles said, "Well...yes, but there is no hurry to do so. Especially when you are not... when we are... I mean, you are still quite young."

"We are the same age."

"Fine, then we are both quite young. There is no rush to-"

"The treaty depends not just on our marriage, but on us having children," Daniela said, more assuredly than before. "If something were to happen to one of us, peace is only guaranteed if we have a child."

"You mean, if one of us were to be killed." Charles raised his voice more than he intended. "I understand the danger I have put you in with this marriage. I understand that there are those who would stop at nothing for it to fail. But if I did not think that I could protect you, I never would have done it. And if you were really in such great danger, then our child would be in the same danger."

She was clearly getting frustrated with him. "It is our duty, both for the sake of the treaty and as the King and Queen of Aramdeau. I cannot understand why-"

"Yes, thank you for reminding me of my duty." He was nearly yelling. "I am glad to know it is such a trivial matter for you, and I'll be sure to bed you at your earliest convenience."

Daniela stormed out of the room.

Charles dropped his head in his hands. How could he have spoken to her in that way? He was used to staying level-headed, whether he was speaking with thieves or rebels or nobles. It could not have been easy for her to bring it up with him, and what made it worse was that she was right. Why couldn't he explain himself properly?

A firm knock on the door shook Charles from his thoughts. A servant handed him a letter; it was news from the Northwest Duchy.

Your Majesty,

The raiders made landfall in the north and established a foothold. Our troops are not enough to keep them at bay. Coastal farms and villages have been razed. There were at least twice as many ships as we first thought.

We request aid in any form you can provide. I fear the forces will progress if you do not send additional troops and weapons.

I regret that I failed to lead our forces to victory.

Your Cousin, Duke Leo Pearson

Charles bade the servant summon the council at once, then took out a quill to write a reply. He would lead the army to the north himself.