Chapter 10: Tournament

Începe de la început

Both riders took new lances and charged again. This time, the yellow rider had the upper hand, and broke his lance on Thomas's shield. Thomas was pushed back in his saddle, but did not fall off. With their third and final lances, Thomas managed to hit the yellow knights shield with a glancing blow, which was enough to win the round. Nicole stood and applauded with those around her. Thomas dismounted, bowed to the King and Queen, then bowed and waved to the rest of the crowd.

The second round matched Duke Pearson against a knight in blue and black. Duke Pearson broke his first lance against the blue shield with a solid hit. Nicole could see Daniela wincing again, although she looked like she was trying to minimize her reactions.

"Look," Marie whispered in Nicole's ear. She pointed discreetly at the space between Daniela's seat and the King's. King Charles had reached out and rested his hand on the back of Daniela's wrist. He was now silently comforting her; rubbing the back of her hand with his thumb.

Nicole's eyes widened, and peaking around the other side of Daniela's chair she saw tell-tale redness creep up the back of Daniela's neck. She laughed silently to herself at the predictability of her friend. Now she knew for sure they had not yet laid together, but maybe there was nothing to worry about.

With his second lance, Duke Pearson knocked the blue knight clean off his steed, winning the round. Gasps mixed with cheers as the crowd waited nervously for the fallen blue knight to rise. He did, thankfully, and heartily congratulated the duke.

Finally, Thomas and the duke were set to compete. Lynette elbowed Nicole gently and she realized how far forward in her chair she had been sitting. She moved back, but couldn't help gripping the edge of the seat.

The riders broke into a gallop, and Duke Pearson struck Thomas's shield. It was not enough to break the lance. The duke held the lead, but not by much.

As they raced forward with their second lances, the duke's was too far lowered! Thomas pointed his own lance up in the air and tried to pull his horse away, but it was too late. The duke's lance struck Thomas hard on the armor on his thigh. No points would be awarded, and the crowd booed in disappointment. Thomas's hand went immediately to his leg, and Nicole could see a dent in the steel where the blow had landed.

Both men seemed to ride faster than ever with their third lances. Thomas held his lance steadily, and it collided forcefully with Duke Pearson's shield. The lance did not break, but the duke slid sideways in his saddle. He struggled for a moment to stay up, but the jostling of his horse shook him off and he landed flat on his back.

Nicole stood and cheered for Thomas. Even Marie, who so admired the duke, could not help applauding. Thomas dismounted and gave Duke Pearson a hand up. The duke was a good sport, and bowed gracefully to Charles and Daniela. Thomas bowed, then came forward to claim his reward. He took off his helmet as he approached, and Nicole thought for a second that she caught his eye.

Young squires began to set up for an archery competition, but Nicole was tired of sitting still for so long.

'"Where are you going?" Lynette asked her as she rose.

"I thought I might take a look at the merchants." she pointed beyond the arena where little tents and stands had been set up.

"Alone?" Paulina asked.

"Would you like me to join you?" Lynette moved to get up, but Nicole stopped her.

"No, no, I'll be perfectly fine. Don't worry." She left before they could try to be helpful in any other way. Nicole was adjusting to the customs of living at the castle, but they could be stifling.

As she moved further away from the arena, the cheers faded and the sounds and smells of a make-shift marketplace filled the air. She was starving, and quickly bought a custard tart and a strip of venison that had been impaled on a stick and roasted over a fire.