"Well, I am not dead, am I?"

"This is not something to joke about."

"Jeez, fine. How is mom?"

"She went back to town so she could complete the process faster. I did not tell her."

"Makes sense. But what happened with me?"

"What is the last thing you remember?"

I paused. "I went to the pharmacy, which is a few blocks away, and that is it, actually."

"Why did you go to the pharmacy?"

"To buy something for Elliot."

Val sighed. "God, that fucking bitch." Before Val could continue, a tall and extremely handsome man came in.

"Good afternoon, boy." That got a grin out of me. "How are you feeling?" If I were not in bed, I would definitely flirt with this man, who is twice my age. His hair was pulled back in a man bun, and the way he did not color his white hair made him more alluring.

"Parched, but everything aches." It makes Val get up instantly to fetch water.

"How much would you rate your pain on a scale of zero to ten?"

I try to move my neck, but a shot of pain washes over my body. "Nothing less than a nine." I lift my right hand and notice my ring finger and middle finger wrapped in a blue cast.

"Do you have memory loss?"

"Yeah."

Val inclines my bed and sits beside me with a glass of water. "You have a severe concussion; Mom will freak out."

"What is your last name, Avery?"

"Ramos."

"What year is it?"

"Twenty two."

"Hmm, how many quarters are there in men's lacrosse?"

"Four, man."

"I am a little sad to say that you might not be able to play for four months, Avery."

"Drop it easy on a man; don't do this to me."

"You have a broken rib, a deep gash on your eyebrows, very close to your eyes, and two broken fingers. It will take a while to get you back in shape."

"Does this guarantee that I will get a very cool scar?"

"Yes. Let me know if you experience any elevation in pain. Ms. Ramos, you can take the day off today."

"It is fine, Doctor." God, who the fuck actually turns down and off.

"I insist. You can stay with your brother; it will reduce the pressure on our nursing staff. Avery, you will be free to go this week." 

BEING IN THE HOSPITAL COMES WITH ITS OWN SET OF EXPECTATIONS. The first one being the fact I do not have to put through the lectures; the second being watching Tom and Jerry all day long with my sister being around me for the entire day. For most of the time, I sleep in my room or look out the window that is adjacent to my bed. It has started to rain, and I cannot believe I missed getting drenched. My phone was completely smashed against the pavement, and I am so happy to get rid of it. I am one of those people who never deletes anything. In the world of data, I am a hoarder, lugging around all the past conversations and pictures of stray cats that I have collected since I got the phone. The con of the situation is only the fact that I have also lost the numbers of all my current connections, but nothing I can restore. The connections I made over vacations and trips are noted in my diary.