"You definitely are you father's daughter" you mutter, hands squeezing her shoulders.

"You should've seen it Mom, it was huge!" she cheers excitedly as you start down the hallway.

"Let's get you in the bath" you tell her and she just smiles wide, clearly content with what she had just accomplished and you now had to clean up.

Once filling the tub with warm water you help your daughter step out of her elephant toothpaste splattered dress and into the bath. Offering her a bath bomb she keeps her curious mind occupied as you step out and figure out how to prepare yourself for the cleaning you had ahead of you.

"What happened here?" you find your blonde husband with an amused smile on his face, eyes scanning the green foam.

"Someone decided to make elephant toothpaste, have any idea where she got that from?" you ask crossing your arms and Mac looks up to find you are not as amused as him in this situation.

"Shit baby I'm so sorry. I didn't think she'd actually attempt it, much less inside the house" he says walking over to you and you sigh, trying your best to not place all the blame on him.

"It's fine, I just have to figure out how to clean it now" you say, hands reaching up to push the hair out of your face. It had already been a long day and the last thing you needed was this.

"It's okay, I got it. I've done elephant toothpaste a time or two" he says, hands reaching to squeeze each of your arms, and you offer a weak smile.

"She's gonna be trouble, just like you" you say with an accusing finger and Mac smiles before pulling you close and wrapping his arms around your waist.

"Maybe, but at least I know how to handle it. When I was blowing things up I never had anyone who understood me" Mac says and you give him a panicked look.

"I didn't say anything about blowing things up" you tell him, head beginning to shake and Mac quickly stops you.

"I know but I happened to remove an entire football field once in my life. Maybe I can keep hers contained to a small park or something" he teases but you give him a stern look that says you're not ready to joke about this just quite yet.

"How about no explosions and no more experiments in our home?" you say and Mac clearly mulls it over. You know he wants to cater to his daughter's curious mind, provide her with every opportunity he could to learn, but could that be done at the expense of your kitchen?

"One explosion and experiments in the yard?" he counter offers and you sigh.

"No explosions and experiments small enough to not alert neighbors in the yard" you finalize and he nods with a grin.

"I can accept that" he says before pressing a chaste kiss to your lips. "Now where's our little scientist, I want to applaud her"

"She's taking a bath, you can say hi after you clean up this mess" you tell him, hands pressing against his chest and in the direction of the green foam.

"And what about you?" he asks, a small pout to his lips and you slowly press a kiss to them. The pout gone in seconds.

"I'm going to help her out of the bath and then we're going to set some rules" you tell him and he nods, saluting you as you walk back to the bathroom to find Jackie hadn't even washed her hair yet.

It's only an hour later you finally have the small girl in fresh pajamas, damp hair combed, and sat between you and Mac on the couch. The Nancy Drew book from before is open on her lap and you finally give Mac a look to tell him it's time to set some rules and create boundaries for her.

"Jackie honey?" you coo, fingers reaching to push away the book for a moment.

"Yeah Mom?" she says, half distracted and trying to chase the page as it moves away from her.

"We wanted to talk to you about your little experiment today" you tell her and Mac nodded, blue eyes finding his daughter's matching ones.

"Yeah honey, just a quick chat" and at her father's words she finally closes the book on her lap.

"We love that you enjoy learning new things. It's amazing the things you already understand, but we need to set some rules" you tell her and a sad look flashes across her features in seconds.

"You made a big mess today, one that worried your Mom. So there can't be anymore experiments in the house" Mac says and the girls is instantly defeated, a gasp leaving her mouth.

"But Dad, it was just elephant toothpaste. It wasn't dangerous!" she whines and Mac shakes his head, staying firm and on your side.

"Yeah but your Mom didn't know that. So there is going to be no more experiments in this house unless approved and supervised by one of us" he tells her and her lip instantly quivers as her arms cross over her chest.

"But you and Dad can do as many experiments in the yard as you want and he's also agreed to bring you to his lab at work once a week to learn something new" you comfort the sad girl, arm wrapping around her.

"You promise?" she asks, hopeful eyes looking up at her Dad.

"Of course honey, pinky promise. We want you to grow and learn but science can be dangerous and it's important we treat every experiment as that" he tells her and she nods even though you know she's not entirely on board yet.

"Does that mean I have to tell you about the habitat I'm growing in my closet?" she whispers and you flash a worried look to Mac who is trying his best not to laugh.

"Well, why don't we go find out" he says, standing and lifting the girl to dangle over his shoulder. The giggles and squeals she lets out are a stark contrast to the somber mood she was just in and you can't help but smile as you watch them disappear down the hallway.

"Is that a toad?!" you hear Mac's voice bellow down the hallway and you are quick to stand to your feet and rush down the hallway.

"Oh hell no"