Caucasian Shepherd Dog

Start from the beginning

Caucasian Shepherd Dog are
fearless, bold, kind and they are in the
FOUNDATION STOCK SERVICE.
HEIGHT:
23-30 inches
WEIGHT:
99-170 pounds
LIFE EXPECTANCY:
10-12 years.

GENERAL APPEARANCE:
The Caucasian Shepherd Dog is a harmonious built, large, strong dog with plenty of bone and powerful muscular system; of a slight rectangular format.
Sexual dimorphism is well pronounced. Males are masculine, with well developed withers and a bigger head in comparison with females. They are also more massive, bigger and often shorter in body than females.
In dogs with longer coat-variety males have a distinctly pronounced mane.

IMPORTANT PROPORTIONS:
The body length exceeds the height at withers by 3-8 %. The length of the forelegs averages 50-52% of the height at the withers. The length of the skull correlates with the length of the muzzle as 3:2.
BEHAVIOUR AND TEMPERAMENT: Behaviour is steady, active, self-confident, fearless and independent. The Caucasian Shepherd Dog shows a devoted attachment to its master; it is an excellent guard dog.

HEAD
CRANIAL REGION: The head is large, massive, and broad in cheekbones; when viewed from above the head looks like a wedge with broad base.
Skull: Massive and broad; forehead is almost flat, with a marked but not deep furrow. Superciliary ridges are developed, but not protruding. Occipital bone inconspicuous.
Stop: Noticeable but not clearly marked.

FACIAL REGION:
Nose: Black, large, with correct open nostrils, not proceeding the muzzle outline. A black nose in solid, spotted or piebald colours is desirable but not obligatory (but genetic blue or liverbrown nose is not allowed).

Muzzle: Broad and deep, gradually tapering towards the nose; with strong jaws and chin; great depth and is well filled under the eyes. The bridge of the nose is broad. The upper lines of the muzzle and skull run parallel.

Lips: Thick, close-fitting, well pigmented.
Jaw / Teeth: Teeth should be healthy, white, strong; incisors are close to each other and in one line. Complete scissor or pincer bite: (i.e.42 teeth).
Injured, broken or knocked out incisors or canines which do not affect the use of the bite is of no consequence, neither is absence of PM1s.
Cheeks: Well developed and emphasized by well pronounced chewing muscles.

EYES: Moderate size, oval in shape, not too deep set, wide and obliquely placed. The colour is different shades of brown from dark to hazelnut. Eyelids are black, dry and close-fitting. Expression is serious, attentive and inquisitive.

EARS: Moderate size, thick, triangular shape naturally pendant, high and wide set. Inner part of ear is close lying to the cheeks. Ears are traditionally cropped in country of origin. Natural ears are of equal value.

NECK: Of medium length, powerful, low set; rounded in the cross- section. Crest is pronounced especially in males.

BODY:
Very well developed in all dimensions; broad, well-muscled and well balanced.
Withers: Well pronounced, moderately long. The height at the withers slightly exceeds the height over the rump.
Back: Straight, broad, firm.

Loin: Short, broad, slightly arched.

Croup: Moderately long, broad, rounded, slightly sloping to root of the tail.

Chest: Long, broad, well ribbed up, deep in general as well as in its frontal part; in cross-section has broad-oval shape. Ribs well sprung, false ribs are long. The forechest is marked.
Underline and belly: Belly moderately tucked up towards rear.