25

Age: 20

"Ella," Mia busts into my room urgently, "You'll never guess who finally got their karma."

She jumps on my bed and shoves her phone in my face. It's a video of a basketball game. I'm confused as to why she's showing me this at first until I realize it's a UConn game, Paige's team.

It zooms in on Paige and she stumbles as she dribbles the ball before running it down the court, passing it to someone else and collapsing to the floor, holding her knee, her face showing excruciating pain. I look away immediately.

"She got injured," Mia says, smiling, "Don't know what it is yet, but it's probably really bad. She might not get to play at all this season."

"Isn't it great!" She says.

"No, are you sick?" I ask her.

"This is awful," I say, taking in the new information.

Mia scoff at my response, "She's getting what she deserves. You should be happy."

"No, Mia," I look at my sick and twisted sister, "She doesn't deserve it. I'm not a monster. She hurt me really bad, but that doesn't mean I want her to get hurt."

Mia looks at me like I'm the crazy one before leaving my room.

My heart hurts. My heart hurts for Paige and I feel like crying. I can't feel this way though. I haven't thought about her, let alone cried about her, in over a year. I've healed.

I don't want to watch that video. I felt sick, watching her fall to the ground, hold on her knee in pain. Her eyes squinted shut as she winces. I wanted to jump through Mia's phone screen and hold her in my arms because she's my Paigey girl. My precious angel baby princess. But she's not anymore.

I push her out of my mind and get out of bed, rubbing my eyes because they're itchy, not because they were welling up with tears.

I get dressed in leggings and a t shirt, pulling my hair up in a ponytail. Going for a run will help clear my head.

My stomach twists when I realize I'm running because of Paige again. But I'm not. I'm running for me. I'm running for my health. I'm running for the right reasons, not the wrong ones.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you!"

There is nothing more awkward than having people sing happy birthday to you. Well, except maybe being alone with your ex girlfriends mom you haven't spoke to in over three years for half an hour while your ex girlfriend showers, then proceeds to come downstairs in nothing but a bath towel, then takes you upstairs to offer you to watch her get dressed.

"And many more!"

I blow out the candles and everyone claps.

"What did you wish for?" Paige asks from beside me.

I did wish for something, but I can't tell her or else it won't come true.

"It won't come true if I tell you," I tell her.

"Oh yeah," she says, "I forgot about that."

"I hope it comes true," she says, looking at me with that little smile and her eyes staring straight into my soul.

"Shut up," I shove her shoulder playfully.

She giggles and asks me, "Don't you hope your wish comes true?"

I think about it. I think about my wish and I look at her and how she's looking at me right now and I doubt myself.

"I don't know," I tell her, "Part of me does, part of me doesn't."