1. levi ackerman (attack on titan)

you got me, i dream while looking at you. i got you in the pitch-black nights.

~ Mikrokosmos , BTS

it was a slow day at the cafe. you were wiping down the counters, cleaning up the mess you had made while making a drink. "great way to start off my shift," you roll your eyes as you clean the last of the spill. picking up the rags you head to the back kitchen to toss the rags in the bin to be cleaned. you had been on your own so far, waiting for your coworker to come in. washing your hands you hear the back door open. "morning," a groggy voice spoke. "good morning, Levi!" you smile widely at the man, drying off your hands. he sets his things down on a rack by the door, usually used to put personal belongings. he walks up to you, patting your shoulder as you stepped to the side for him to wash his hands. you continue to prep for the day in silence. Levi was never a man of many words, he preferred his quiet but didn't mind the talkativeness of the younger workers here. "mm, Levi," you call out to him, squatted in front of a cupboard of coffee. "we're running low on colombian," you frown, pulling out the last 5 bags. he rolls his eyes, walking over to you to look at the rest of the inventory with you. "dammit, that one's been popular lately too. i really didn't want to bother her today. i doubt she'd see any calls too," he scoffed pulling out his phone and sending a text to your boss. "those damn kids didn't clean under here either," he complains, staring at the coffee grounds sitting on the shelf. pulling the rag from his pocket he swept the grounds onto the floor. "we need more people like you here, Y/n. seriously. no one else knows how to clean up after themselves," he stands back to his feet, watching as you continued to do inventory. you didn't usually do this, as it was usually your boss' thing. she had been away today. apparently went to attend a friends company party. the two of you had been chatting, when the bell to the front door went off. you immediately head to the front, greeting the customer that had just walked in. "i'll take care of him," Levi says behind you, heading to the counter. you nod, continuing inventory as before. you didn't realize just how much needed to be accounted for. creamers, milks, coffee beans, teas, eggs, bread, pastries, soups, napkins. the list felt endless.

you sigh, throwing the list on the counter, leaning against the wall. "finally done!" you exclaim, stretching your arms out. "how does she do it? she makes it all look so easy," you look at Levi who just nodded. "you make it look easy, too. there's a reason you're an assistant manager, Levi," you nudge him as he washed the few dirty cups you had. "i'm only manager because i've been here the longest," he finishes the last cup, handing it to you to dry off. you toss him a towel as you both walk out to the front to start wiping down tables. the two of you, i guess you could say, were always in synch with each other. you had started working here 2 years ago, mostly working with Levi. partly because workers would come and go. but because of this, you and Levi had routines down of how you would go about work. you both had a plan for every situation and it didn't take much discussion to figure it out. it just happened and worked out for the best. neither of you were fond of standing around so you both tended to take your time with everything on slower days like today. doing just about everything together; even if it was a one man job. after wiping down tables you decided to clean windows. taking a seat in one booth as Levi sat in the one behind it. "so, Levi. you have a girlfriend? or boyfriend. no judgement here," you ask, realizing you never really got into his personal life. "hm? no, no relationship," he says, spraying the window and wiping it down. "ever been in one?" you ask, starting your own window. he nods his head, "one. her name was Petra. sweet girl, didn't work out. realized we were better as friends," he says with the most bland tone, blank expression. you laugh a little, shaking your head at his answer. "what's so funny?" he asks, stopping his cleaning to look at you. "nothing, your voice is just either really serious or really monotone no matter what the question is. you never seem excited or embarrassed by anything," you shuffle to the other side of your booth to get the rest of the window, Levi doing the same. "i get excited," he says, spraying the window again. "about what?" he goes quiet, pondering for a moment. "to come to work," he says, monotonously again. you laugh louder, hiding your face against the table. "i'm sorry! Levi, do you not have any hobbies or interests?! what do you mean you get excited for work?" you raise your head, continuing to laugh at his response. "shut up and clean," he says, throwing the rag at you. you quickly duck, hearing it hit the booth in front of you.

you grab a broom from the back and start sweeping the front lobby. the day had dragged on, it being a very slow day and all, but the sun was finally setting. you heard levi pushing the door from the kitchen to upfront open, placing a bucket of cleanser on the counter. he began wiping down the equipment and cleaning the machines. "have you been in a relationship?" Levi calls out to you from the counter. you look back at him, confused as it had been 7 hours since that conversation. "yeah, one. his name was Erwin. it worked out he just... passed away," you say, looking down at the broom, squeezing the handle. "oh, i'm sorry," for the first time you heard sadness in his voice. "oh, no worries! i've accepted it now. it still hurts, he was my first well... everything. but some drunk idiot well... you know how the stories. he got hit, died 3 hours later in the ER," you sigh, the memories of him flashing in your head. "he was a good man. i really think you would've gotten along with him. you honestly might have stolen him from me. you were both fairly similar. he also spoke as though he had no interest in anything," you smile at the thought of Erwin. Levi just stared at you, unsure of what to say. you took notice of this, perking up immediately. "i'm okay. really! this was almost 8 years ago. it still hurts sometimes, he didn't deserve to go so soon. but i'm a lot happier now compared to before. part of the reason is because of this job and my wonderful coworkers and bosses," you smile at the man. he gave a heartwarming, small smile back. you went back to sweeping but still felt his eyes on you. "you're an interest," you looked at him again, more confused than previously. "what?" you ask, a chuckle passing your lips. "you asked if i had any interests. you're one of them," he repeats. your face starts to burn, you could feel the red crawling across your face. "come on, Levi. you can't just say things like that," you go back to sweeping, moving faster as your nerves bubbled inside you, your heart twisting and turning in your chest, a smile trying to force its way out as you choked on it to hold it down. he didn't respond, just went back to wiping down the counters. you found yourself becoming really flustered for the rest of the night when you looked at him.

you flipped the close sign around, hitting the lights off and heading back to the kitchen. "ready to head out?" Levi asks, grabbing both of your keys from the rack, handing you your own. you nod, taking your keys from his hands. following him out the back door. he pulled it to make sure it had locked before turning on his heels. opening the door to your car you tossed your things in your passenger seat. "i meant what i said. about being interested in you," he says, stopping next to you. "get home safe. goodnight, i'll see you tomorrow," he smiles and heads off to his car. "o-okay. you too," you close your door as you watch him walk to his car. you grip your steering wheel before leaning your head on it, stomping your feet on the mat underneath you. the smile you had been trying so desperately to keep down bloomed fully on your face.