Chapter 43: In For A Pound

Start from the beginning

"Obviously, despite the evidence I've compiled, I still don't know enough about this supposed bone demon to take action." Syntax monologued, fixing a strand of his hair sticking out. As much as those words held true, he still could not shake off the feeling of familiarity with that girl. 

"And from how you were able to see through her tricks when your own comrades couldn't, that tells me you discovered something about her that made you run for it at the last minute." As he continued, chartreuse eyes drifted from the skeptical leopard, down to the golden rope. If  "I just want to make sure I am completely updated in my knowledge. I'm assuming that rope is going to help against her?"

"Apparently? Look, I couldn't care less about you or your clan. If you want a way out like me, then you're better off talking to the blue cub." Spat the leopard, rolling his eyes in impatience. "This rope's apparently supposed to help against the bone demon according to them, but I don't know what the entire plan is, nor do I care. All that matters is I'm getting protection in return, in case it doesn't work out."

"Protection?" Syntax quirked a brow. He couldn't exactly tell if the leopard was telling the truth, or just making up lies to get him to leave. Pulling his sleeve a bit to keep the rain from getting into his watch, he retracted his mechanical arm from the rock. "And who's this blue cub you're referring to?" 

"You know, flute kid? Short hair, blue highlights, water powers?" Leopard listed the things about your appearance and such that he remembered the most. This scientist should know who he was talking about, right? "I don't know what their name is, but that's your problem-"

"Bell." Syntax recalled. He's only had one encounter with you, that being your little encounter at the cloud. Maybe he wasn't able to remember you as much, since you've only shown yourself to him for a brief moment during New Years, but he has heard the others refer to you with that name before. "If that's true, then it means they've been making bargains even after I released the Sleep Bug..."

"Yeah well, it's great you found out what you're looking for, but I'm gonna go now." The leopard bid a lazy goodbye, slouching as he left the area. Syntax only rolled his eyes, but did not protest. He's heard everything that he needed to hear. He watched the leopard disappear into an abandoned mine shaft, before going back under the gingko tree's shade and pressing on his watch.

Despite this short and rather rude conversation, Leopard couldn't shake off the anxious feeling suddenly plaguing him. What was wrong? He already escaped the kingdom, he already had the rope...So why was he feeling this impending sense of doom all of a sudden?

Now inside of the mine shaft, the rain no longer fell on him. The cave filled with creaky cart tracks suffering from wood rot was the only thing separating him from the curtain of droplets outside. He was safe from the rain now, but he still didn't feel...safe. Leopard tried shaking it off, letting his night vision lead him through the otherwise dark cave. 

But the feeling still lingered...

As he was trying to recall something he might've forgotten about to warrant this feeling, thunder struck, and the air suddenly went still. A voice, one he didn't want to hear. The last voice his friend, the Rhino King heard...reached his ears.

"Wow, do people not care about terms and conditions anymore?" You commented dryly from behind. 

"And here I thought you'd learn from your friend."

...

Syntax's web-patterned coattail trailed from behind, adding to his irritation with it slapping more droplets on the back of his legs. What could you, this little backup hero, possibly have in store? Frogs narrowly avoid his steps as his boot stepped into a puddle of mud, making him wince. Annoyed at the little inconvenience, he shook his leg to get the mud off. Noticing the frogs curiously eyeing at him, he hissed at them in return.