I walk into the kitchen and go straight to the fridge. A note is written on the dry-erase board he has on one of the doors. Good morning! Hope you slept well. Had to head into work early, but maybe we can plan something tonight. Xoxo, K.

He probably has another historical item he needs to research for his boss. Maybe he'll let me help him out with one of his projects. I pour myself a glass of orange juice and quickly chug it down before rushing to the front door and yanking my car keys off the small rack hung on the wall. I send Kyle a short message, telling him where I'm going, and get into my car.

I'm so excited to see my friends. I can barely hold myself together. I just pray the feeling is mutual.

---

After a long drive across the island, I eventually turned onto a dirt path surrounded by bushes and trees. The Chateau (Big John named it that) comes into view, and I look at the destruction. I park on the side of his house and stare at the old wooden fishing boat lying a few away. Its wood is busted and splitting in some places because of the storm. I turn my car off and get out, quietly shutting the door. I don't want any noise announcing my arrival. John B is about to have the shock of his life.

I cover my mouth when I hear the screen door opening and shutting and slowly make my way around the fish shack. John B walks down the steps as I turn the corner to the front yard. He's shirtless, probably from just waking up. I stop in my tracks, shocked by how tall and different he looks from behind. His brown hair is a bit longer and wavy. He definitely gained some muscles. My cheeks burn as my eyes trail up and down his frame.

I'm cursing myself for not focusing on any boys while I was gone. At least I could've been prepared for this. I always rejected any guy who asked me out in school—the worst mistake of my life. Aliana, get a hold of yourself! I breathe in deeply and quietly saunter closer.

John B yawns and curses under his breath, standing in front of a tree that fell over during the storm and pulled the roots out of the ground with it. "Oh, man. That is not good," he mumbles.

His voice is more profound. I have to remind myself we were all going through puberty when I had to leave. I stop a couple of feet behind him. "What a way to start the morning off," I say.

He jumps when I speak and spins around. His eyes go wide when he sees me. His lips part in shock, and he looks me up and down before landing on my face again. "Holy shit! Aliana?"

I grin and open my arms. "The one and only. Did you miss me?" I ask, watching as he closes the gap between us in long strides.

He wraps his arms around me and pulls me into his bare chest, lifting my feet off the ground and twirling me around. "Oh my god! No way!" My body immediately fills with ease. He's not upset with me. He sets me down and keeps his hands planted on my shoulders, staring at me in disbelief, like I'll disappear again at any moment. "I got your mother's voicemail. I'm sorry you had to go through that."

"I didn't want to leave you guys, but I didn't have a choice." e shakes his head at me, tightening his grip on my shoulders.

"You don't have to explain, Ali."

A silence falls over us. I look down and grab his hands off my shoulders, keeping them in my hold as I look back at him. "Kyle told me about Big John."

"Oh. Yeah. I've seen him around." He steps back, and I drop his hands. "I don't need your pity. Everyone else might think he's dead, but I don't." I stare at the anguish in his eyes. "I can't, and I won't."

 I nod my head. "You have every right, JB," I reply softly and notice his gaze dart behind me.

"Agatha did some work, huh?" I struggle to keep my expression neutral when I hear that familiar voice. I should've known he would be here. John B and he were always inseparable.

John B grins. "Yeah, she did," he replies, and I turn around to face the blonde boy who is also shirtless and looks like he just woken up. "Look what she dragged in," he remarks, wrapping an arm around my shoulder.

JJ and I lock eyes on each other. He slows down from the shock I'm sure he's feeling, but he quickly recovers and approaches us. I can't keep my gaze from traveling down his face to his chest and the abs, all the way down to the khaki shorts he has on and the hem of his black boxers peeking through. He looks even better than I imagined. Hotter. Sexier

I blink and focus back on his face. I missed those bright blue eyes that I adored so much. "Hey," I speak and internally scream at myself, shoving John B's arm off my shoulders in the process.

Out of everything I could have said to him, I went with that. "Hey," he says back, staring at me with furrowed brows and an intense look in his eyes.

"This is great, JJ! The gang is all back this summer." John B continues on, oblivious to how we look at each other. "Pope and Kiara are going to be so stoked!" He moves away and goes over to his motorboat, which is covered in twigs and debris from the storm. I saw it on my way over here. HMS Pogue is painted in big white letters on the side of it.

JJ exhales slowly and frowns, hardening his gaze at me. I shiver as a chill goes down my spine that has nothing to do with the wind. I have no idea how he is feeling about my return. I used to understand his body language so easily, but now, looking at me the way he is, I know this summer isn't going to be the enjoyable vacation I was expecting.