-Chapter Twelve- Let Me Make You Proud

Start from the beginning

Y/n glanced over as she heard Attila's voice from beneath his metal helmet. "The least we can do is give them a second chance of their own."

"Listen to them!" exclaimed Eugene, taking Rapunzel by her shoulders. "Rapunzel, there's no other option. The mountains made for a great hideout back in the day. I know those roads better than anyone."

Eugene looked at Rapunzel stubbornly. "Face it. We're the men for this job." He laughed grimly as Y/n raised one eyebrow. "Besides... even a make-believe king has gotta make himself useful."

Y/n saw him share a look with Cassandra as the two came to an unspoken agreement. The Captain stepped forward to Rapunzel, looking unsure. "Your Highness, the guards should really be the ones to go."

Eugene stepped forwards as well, having let go of Rapunzel. "If this storm keeps up, things could get ugly, and this kingdom will need its guards."

Y/n thought back to her tutors, and realized that Eugene had a point. When disasters struck, and weren't handled accordingly, people tended to lash out- and monarchies were often the first target.

The Captain sighed. "Your Highness, it's your call." Oh, right, don't ask for anyone else's opinion at all. Especially not the princess who studied for these situations her whole life. No, just rely on the decision-making skills of someone who declared a snow day during a blizzard. Excellent logic.

Maybe if just once these people had let Y/n prove herself to them- maybe they would have realized that she could stand tall, that she was her own person, that she was something more than just Rapunzel's shadow.

Rapunzel and Eugene stared at each other for a long time, before Rapunzel sighed and looked away. "Go." she said softly.

Eugene pulled Rapunzel into a tight hug. "We'll be back." he whispered. "I promise."

With one last kiss to Rapunzel's forehead, Eugene left through the tall double doors, his group following behind him. Maximus turned at the last moment, pressing his snout to Rapunzel's face.

"Bring them home, Max." she whispered. With one last glance behind him, Maximus followed the group out the doors, and Cassandra rushed over to Rapunzel.

"Don't worry, Raps." she said reassuringly. "If anyone can find your parents," Cassandra paused, pulling Rapunzel into a hug, "they can."

Y/n looked away. She couldn't bear to watch their sorrow any longer, feeling none of it herself.

She reached into her coat pocket and pulled out her vial of Flynnoleum, cradling it between her hands. It reminded her of Varian, in a way- scientific, reactive, and it was always meant well- no matter how much havoc it may have unintentionally caused.

Y/n tucked the vial back in its place, one hand lingering in her coat, and turned back to the window she rested on, staring out into the icy void beyond.

She could deal with this mess of emotions- because despite her own conflicted heart and head, at least she knew a set of important truths. Whatever happened at the palace, at least Varian was home, warm, and completely safe.

After all, Y/n could be okay, as long as he was.

─── ⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅ ───

Some time had passed, and the foyer was now nearly empty. The civilians had all either been evacuated or moved to other areas of the palace, only leaving Nigel, Cassandra, Rapunzel and Y/n in the space.

Y/n was still perched on her windowsill, and Cassandra waited next to another as Rapunzel paced the room.

A hoot emanated from outside of Cassandra's window. With a gasp, she yanked it open, allowing her owl to fly inside. Cass slammed the window shut again as the bird landed on her arm.