Chapter Ten

"So, how have you been?"

Y/n hadn't meant to invite him to the bar. It had been the shock, the utter inexplicability of running into him here of all places, in her city, on her home turf. He brought back unbidden truths of the past, unbidden facts of Y/n's current reality. His presence dissolved the myriad of fabrications on which she stabilized her fragile reality. She hadn't meant to offer up her space to him and more than anything, she had not thought he would accept.

"Things have been okay."

Atsushi held his glass where it sat on the bar top with both hands. He smiled awkwardly over at Y/n.

Y/n's coworker for the evening, late as always, sidled past as she slipped behind the bar, panting.

"Sorry I'm so late! It wasn't too busy, was it?"

"It's fine, nothing I can't handle."

The woman threw her coat on the hook behind the bar. Catching sight of Atsushi, noting the way the boy watched Y/n, she shot the girl a wink.

"Quite the killer, aren't we."

"What does she mean?" Atsushi asked, his brow furrowing in confusion.

Y/n shook her head.

"How have you been?"

The true question bit at the back of her words. Atsushi had never been good at finding hidden things like that, that much Y/n remembered. It was because of this, and only because of this, she gave the meaning voice.

"Why are you here?"

"To... see you? You invited me, remember?"

"In Yokohama."

"Oh."

Even when she had lain it all out, plain and simple, he still hadn't gotten it. Atsushi's actions only reinforced the necessity of her test. She shook her head slightly, clearing it of thoughts of fire.

"So?"

"Well, I work here now."

Y/n did not keep the shock from painting her features. The boy she had known still sat across the table from her, but he was sheltered. He was coated in the shell of someone new, someone different. The little boy in the orphanage had at last, it seemed, found the home he was searching for.

"Congratulations."

"Yeah. At the Armed Detective Agency. I am not sure if you know it."

Y/n shook her head. She was grateful for the fact it was a Tuesday night. Not many people went out drinking on a Tuesday, the bar was quiet for the most part.

"Oh, well, we work with the police. We take the cases that they can't handle on their own, or the ones involving people with special abilities."

"Really?" Y/n asked, beginning to lose interest in the flow of the conversation.

"Yeah. I... it turns out I actually have one."

Their eyes met across the counter. The look could have set a fire, but it didn't. They were past that by now. They had been young, so painfully young. They had suffered for it, each in their own way. Three years on, the anger was just a memory. It was the lifeless corpse of a used match, burnt out and useless. Destined for the trash.

"Really? What is it?"

"I can turn into a tiger."

The corners of Y/n's mouth twitched downwards. It was a flash, an instant.

"What's wrong?"

It doesn't matter how long you go without seeing someone, Y/n remembered in that moment. People change but no one changes that much. Once you know someone like the back of your hand, it never goes away. Not really.

"Nothing poetic about it." she admitted.

The door swung open, the bell ringing. The sounds melded together in a strange cacophony, nearly a waltz of sorts if waltzes could be stuttering and out of synch. Neither turned, each too focused on the other.

"Oh."

There was a disappointment there. Y/n couldn't quite understand what it was. Did he hope she would be impressed by him? What effect did he dream of such a statement having? Did he dream of her at all anymore?

"Are you still writing?"

"Couldn't stop if I tried."

Y/n turned her head to the side, watching as her nameless coworker helped a faceless customer.

"Y/n," Atsushi sighed, leaning forward slightly, "why did you ask me to come?"

Her eyes snapped back to him. She thought in silence before shrugging.

"I don't know."

"Tell me about what you've been writing."

He smiled earnestly over at her. Y/n stomach turned.

"Tell me what you want from me."

"I don't want anything. I never wan-"

"We both know that's a lie."

There was a hint of venom to her words despite the wry smile that etched its way onto her features. Atsushi sighed again. Leaning back in his chair, he brought his glass to his lips, drinking deeply.

"For what it's worth, I'm sorry."

Y/n's smile shifted. It became something smaller, something more real.

"Yeah." she nodded, her voice nothing more than a whisper, "For what it's worth, I am too."

Atsushi placed his glass back on the table, letting out a long sigh. His eyes danced around the bar, taking in every detail of the space before settling back on Y/n.

"I thought I would never see you again." Atsushi admitted.

The bell ran again, the door opened. Again, neither one turned to see the source of the footsteps making their way up to the bar.

"Neither did I." Y/n sighed, the words heavy on her tongue.

"Are you happy?"

"I suppose." she nodded slightly, "In an odd way. Are you?"

"Yeah, I am." Atsushi grinned, "I... I really, really am."

Y/n smiled back softly. The care was still there, at least a little bit.

"I'm glad."

The customer put his hand on the counter to draw Y/n's attention, tapping his foot impatiently.

"Let me know if you need anything else. It..." Y/n trailed off, weighing the weight of the words in her mind, "It's nice to see you, Atsushi."

Y/n turned her back on the boy. Resolutely, she walked to where the man stood. He was well dressed, in a suit and tie. He looked tired. Y/n recognized his exhaustion, though he was a stranger. She had felt it herself often enough and now, it formed an unusual bond between the stranger and herself.

"Seems like we are both on better paths now. It's nice to see you too."

----

We're gonna age Atsushi up two years so he is twenty. Just a little heads up.