If I stay in his pack, he'll find me with ease. Someone will recognise me and it will get back to him, but beyond this territory lines, I'm less well known. And pursuing me over them will be much more difficult.

Alex grabs my arm, her grip tight as she pins me with a sharp look. "Did he do something to you?"

"No," I lower my voice a touch, unease crawling over my skin. "If I stay he's in danger."

She blinks. "I'm assuming from something in your past, right?"

"Uh huh."

I don't want to tell her any more and get her involved in my problems. The last thing I need is for her to become a target too.

"Does he know about this?" She questions, watching me collect the last few items I need, stuffing them into the bulging bag. She's realising there is nothing that is going to stop me now.

"No. You can't tell him." I tug at the zip of the bag, gritting my teeth as it fights to stay open. "Say I've gone on holiday and I'll be back in a week. That should be enough time."

Alex wraps her arms around herself, rattled. "I can't lie to my Alpha."

With the bag finally zipped, I turn to face her, resting my hands on her shoulders. She's trembling beneath my hands.

"Please, Alex. As my friend..."

This won't cost her anything. When Onyx realises she's done what I've wished, he will understand. Of course he will be upset, but he's not narrow sighted enough to pin blame on her.

"Onyx is your best friend. He will want to help you." Alex winces as I sling the bag over my shoulders.

I sigh. Now might not be the best time, but I can't leave here without being honest first. She deserves to know about the nature of Onyx and I's relationship.

"I'm sorry Alex. I lied to you," I breathe.

She pauses, dragging her gaze over me. "You...about what?"

"About Onyx and I." I keep my expression straight, trying not to grimace. "We were only friends while the whole wife selection process happened, but I was desperately in love with him."

"Oh..."

She asked me if we had feelings for each other before, and I lied. I was denying how I felt to protect myself, but I should have told her that I had been in love with him for a great deal of time.

"We've since revealed our feelings, but we can't be together," I explain, clutching the strap of my bag tightly. "Either way, there's no place for me here."

I start toward the door, but she swerves in front of me, the frazzled strands of hair fallen from her bun only adding to her desperation.

"Sienna, if you're in danger, I want to help you."

"You can help. Tell Onyx I went to the beach, then try console him when he realises I'm not coming back." I dig into my back pocket, handing the slender envelope to her. "Give him this note if he starts to look for me."

Alex pauses, staring at it, then back at me again. I half expect her to refuse, to slam the door in my face before locking me in.

Instead, she reaches out with trembling fingers and takes the letter tentatively.

"Will you contact me when you're safe?" She asks softly, her brows drawing together.

"As soon as I've settled somewhere, you'll be the first person to know," I assure her.

I've considered which direction I'm inclined to go in and decided to go opposite to that. Onyx knows how I think, knows my thoughts before they even form in my head.