006. You're Still Young, That's Your Fault

six you're still young, that's your fault

six
you're still young, that's your fault

A TERRIBLE cataclysm has hit the world, and now it has stopped spinning. The sun is on the verge of exploding, and humanity will have to survive on dregs until it inevitably is wiped out.

Or, for the less dramatic — Rory got a D on an essay.

If anyone cares, Holly got a B. However, she's had little time to celebrate, because she's spent the day consoling Rory over her first ever bad grade.

"Please don't tell anyone, Holly," Rory begs when they're finally on the bus home.

"Yeah, sure," Holly says absentmindedly.

"I'm serious! Don't tell your mom, don't tell my mom, don't tell anyone."

"I think you're overblowing this."

"I'm not! I've never got a D! I don't get D's."

"Yeah, I can tell," Holly smirks.

"Holly, can you please be serious about this?"

Holly's been desperate to get away from Rory all day, but there's the slight problem that she has no other friends than her cousin. She can't wait to get into her apartment and shut the door, and probably end up telling her mom about both of the Gilmores' grades.

"Oh my God, Rory! What do you want me to say that I haven't already said?" Holly snaps. "I've spent the entire day trying to reassure you! Why am I bothering if you won't even listen to me?"

"Okay, you're right," Rory takes a deep breath. "I'm sorry. It'll be fine. It's just a bad grade."

"It's just a bad grade. And there's the test on Friday to make up for it."

"There's the test."

"Exactly."

There's a pause, and for a blissful moment, Holly thinks she's actually got through to her cousin.

"What if I fail that too?"

Holly gets up while the bus is moving and sits in a seat far away from Rory, ignoring her indignant calls for her to come back.

Holly has started adapting to her new routine. She goes to school and just about manages to stay sane. About twice a week after school, she spends three hours working at Luke's Diner, with a six hour shift on Saturdays. Sometimes Luke calls her when the diner is extra busy and asks if she can help out, which she often does.

When she gets home, she makes a start on her homework while debriefing with her mom about their days. It's busy, and stressful, but Holly makes it work, by mentally switching off as much as she possibly can - mostly at work.