005. Soon You'll Get Better

five soon you'll get better

five
soon you'll get better

GOLFING WITH Richard doesn't go off to the strongest of starts, because Holly and Rory show up to the Gilmore house thirty minutes late. It doesn't take a genius to guess that Richard isn't happy about this.

Holly feels like a bit of an idiot, in an ugly golf hat that Emily forced her to wear, and a white shirt and trousers. The only interesting thing about this day is that she's using her dad's old golf clubs.

She knows her dad used to play golf semi regularly - Richard used to take him to this exact club. Holly tries to picture the sixteen year old version of her dad here, holding the club that's in her hands. In a way it sort of feels like he's there with her, heckling Richard as he fumbles for common ground with the girls.

God, she misses him.

She's so busy thinking about her dad that she completely misses Richard's explanation of how golf works. When she comes to, Rory is already positioning herself with her golf club in her hand. She can picture her dad snorting at this, telling her through a laugh to get it together. She hurries to get into position, begrudgingly letting Richard guide her.

Holly and Rory swing at the same time. Rory misses the ball completely and ends up whacking the club against the grass. Holly on the other hand, does end up hitting the ball, but it goes sailing straight into a nearby lake.

"I'm betting that was wrong," Rory says.

"There are no rights and wrongs to the learning process," Richard says, but he already sounds weary. "Try again."

Golfing is not a huge success. Rory eventually manages to hit the ball, but it lands in the water exactly like Holly's did. Eventually, the trio decide it would be better to give up and just walk around the club.

Admittedly, it's a beautiful place. It's very serene, with lots of flowers everywhere and green space. Holly looks around and wonders what places were her dad's favourite to spend time in. Maybe she can pluck the courage to ask Richard.

"Can I ask you a question?" Rory asks.

"Go ahead."

"What do you do?"

"I'm the executive vice-president of the Gerhman-Driscoll Insurance Corporation."

"Wow. Do you get to travel a lot?"

"Quite a bit."

"Lucky."

"I suspect you have a yen for travelling."