004. If It Kills Me

four if it kills me (i tried)

four
if it kills me (i tried)

THE SECOND Gilmore Friday Night Dinner is no more successful than the first — Lorelai embarrasses herself by calling the maid by the wrong name, and an argument starts when Richard mixes up a man and a woman. The worst part however, is when Emily and Richard start asking the girls at the table about their lives.

"Lucille, how did the interview for the law firm go?"

Holly's heart aches as she watches her mom visibly flinch. The interview for the law firm did not go well, and it's put Lucy into a slump. She's put little effort into her appearance and only speaks when spoken to.

"Uh - yeah, I didn't get it," Lucy almost whispers.

"That is a shame," Richard laments, sounding almost bored. "Well, there's plenty of other jobs out there, as long as you keep looking."

Lucy doesn't reply to that, staring at the table instead. Holly's worried. She'll never pressure her mom into getting a job if she's not ready, and it's not as though she's not trying, but she fears this rejection will make her give up completely, which isn't something they can afford. Lucy racks her brain for answers to their conundrum as the conversation switches to Lorelai's 'charming little inn.'

"Holly, Rory, how's Chilton?" Emily asks.

"Okay, done with me now," Lorelai mutters.

"I'm sorry, was there more to the story?"

"Uh - they have to pick a team sport to play."

Holly huffs. She's not the sporty type. In fact, she can't think of anything worse.

"What sport are you going to pick?"

"I'm not sure," Rory shrugs. "I'm not really the athletic type."

"Same," Holly adds.

"I told them they should go out for the debating team," Lorelai says brightly.

"It's not a sport."

"It's the way the Gilmores play."

"And more physically exerting if you talk loud enough," Holly says.

"So, what are your choices?" says Emily.

"God, there's like a thousand of them," Rory sighs. "Basketball, swimming, lacrosse, golf—"

"Golf?"

Holly can't help but feel as though they've been caught in a trap.