Chapter 3: Kernwith Abbey

Start from the beginning

Daniela's father had sent her away solely to save face. The thought inflamed Daniela. At first she did not believe it at all, but she knew he was a proud man, and it was the only thing that made sense. She knew he did not trust her or expect her to hold influence over the Aram court on behalf of Brasador. Her only purpose in existing now was to rescue the pride of a man who did not care about her.

In a way, this new information was almost a relief. She was angry at first, but because she was, she did not miss her family and home as much as she might have. Each day, she spent less and less time missing Brasador or even thinking about it. They never wrote to her once.

Life at the convent was calm, but always interesting. At the school, their focus was mostly on reading, writing, and theology. Many of the girls would spend their whole lives at the convent, after all. Sometimes Daniela had separate lessons with the Reverend Mother where she learned about the Aram government and its history, and about some etiquette that differed from Brasador. The girls also had practical pursuits like needlework and mending, and they did chores around the Abbey. But most of their time was spent out of doors, either tending little gardens or just playing whenever it was warm enough. The northern climate did get quite cold in the winter, but the springs and summers were beautiful.

During one such summer in their teenage years, Daniela and Nicole went picking wild raspberries in a wooded glen near the Abbey. They sat to rest on a soft patch of clover by a little stream. The sun broke through the cold shade, warming their faces.

Daniela stretched out, laying back on the ground, and closed her eyes. "I wish I could live out here."

"An enchanted princess, cursed to hide in a forest and wait for her daring knight to rescue her!" Nicole mused.

"No, no, not like that. I just mean a little cottage tucked away. Where I could grow vegetables and pick berries."

Nicole sighed. "That will be my fate, if I don't take the vows. The nuns will kick me out, and I'll have to live in a little hovel as a spinster for the rest of my life. I'll catch squirrels and chipmunks and scare off small children who wander too far into my woods."

Daniela smiled. "They are not going to kick you out. You know the Reverend Mother cares for you too much to do that. Besides, there are plenty of things you could do, if you chose to leave."

"You don't exactly meet many bachelor's at a convent. And even if I did, what nobleman would have me with no lands and no dowry?"

"Perhaps you could find a governess position, or work as a companion for some noblewoman."

"Maybe." Nicole spread her arms wide and looked up at the leaves. "Would you do it? If you were me, would you take the vows?"

Daniela thought carefully before answering. "Yes, I think I would."

Nicole sighed again. "What I wouldn't give to trade places with you..."

"Really? You'd like to marry some man you don't know and don't love?"

"If he were a king! Of course I would."

"Even if he were old or cruel or hideous?"

"Well, he isn't, is he? They say King Charles is rather well-looking, and you and he are the same age! It's romantic, don't you think?"

"Being the same age as someone is hardly a basis for love. If it were, you would be in love with Friar Andrews," Daniela pointed out.

"Oh, Lord, no! He cannot possibly be the same age as us."

Daniela nodded. "I think he will be seventeen soon."

"No, I could never marry someone so dull. He acts at least ten years our senior. He once described different types of tree fungus to me for about twenty minutes."