CHAPTER TWO - I Ruin The Biggest Party Of The Year

I smoothed out my dress, looking at the door of my room

I smoothed out my dress, looking at the door of my room. A part of me wanted to take off all the makeup, throw away my gown, and hide under my blanket listening to early 2010's boyband music with Taylor Swift and 90's music in the mix. As soon as I walk down the stairs and into the party, people will stare and whisper as I walk by. I clutched the expensive fabric of my dress, reminding myself that my best friends, Advika and Megha were waiting downstairs for me. They are the only people who understand me besides Leela.

God, I wish Leela was here.

She had taken the day off, which nobody minded because she was only ever here for me. Washing my clothes, tutoring me, making me snacks, that kind of stuff.

I checked myself in the mirror once again, the loose curls of my hair were styled in a ponytail, and my makeup was very natural. My dadu hired a professional hair and makeup team so I don't 'screw it up and embarrass him' and my dress was Vivienne Westwood.

I got up from the chair in front of my vanity and pushed open the door. There, a man was standing with a smile showing all of his teeth, waiting to escort me downstairs.

Tonight will be perfect.

***

I stood in a corner with Megha and Advika. They weren't obligated to mingle since 'they didn't come from rich and powerful families' their words; not mine. And as for me? Well, I was the great shame of my family and I didn't want to embarrass them further by talking to the guests. If I slip up and reveal something embarrassing (like my psychiatrist visits), my family will become a laughing stock and I will be shipped off to a mental hospital for good. From B-town stars to the newest tech bros, you weren't the top dog in the business if you didn't rub shoulders with the Rajputs. The wealth and elegance of the family were incorporated in every little detail, whether it was the decorations, catering from the Taj, or the personalized return gifts for guests.

"Look at that girl." Advika points to a girl in a poofy yellow gown, talking to the couple of the hour. Her makeup was horrible and it was obvious the purpose was to make her ten shades lighter. As a girl with dark skin, it made me sad when girls didn't appreciate their skin tone. As I looked away from the girl, I caught my new chachi's stare. She looked as if she wanted to pounce at me. It wasn't the first time either, she stared at me throughout the entirety of the five-day wedding and this must be her tenth time staring at me tonight.

"Something's wrong with her," I whispered.

"I know right, like if you have so much money, hire a good makeup artist!" Advika remarked.

I tsked at her remark, "I'm talking about my chachi. She's always staring at me."

"Maybe it's because you don't talk much and she doesn't know you well?" Megha suggests.

"Maybe," I murmur, although I had a gut feeling there was something wrong with her. Serial killer? Second family? Whatever it is, I don't want to be the one to know about the skeletons in her closet. I wanted to be as oblivious as possible.

"I hate this, there are too many people." I comment, "I need some air."

"Want us to come along?" Advika asked, taking a sip of her Coke.

I shook my head. As I made my way towards the glass doors that led to the backyard, I couldn't help but look over to the spot where my chachi was standing. My chacha was still talking to the girl with the horrible makeup, but my chachi was nowhere to be found. I shook the sinking feeling in my stomach, blaming it on my paranoia, and stepped out into the backyard.

Our mansion was on a beautiful cliff near Mumbai, overlooking the crystal blue ocean. When I can't sleep, I come out here to listen to the faint sound of the waves, watching them crash against the shore.

Near the edge of the cliff, I could see the outline of two figures. I pondered if I should approach them or not, but before I could reach a decision, my feet dragged me closer.

I could now see their face a little. I clasped my hand over my mouth to muffle my gasp. Leela was standing there with my chachi, and both were engaged in a heated conversation. I watched with curiosity as I saw Leela pull out a small mirror, the reflective part facing chachi. She hissed and I felt my body freeze with shock as my chachi turned into the monster of my nightmares. Literally, she looked exactly like the creature in my dreams. She looked like a statue of a girl made from glass. Her eyes were pitch black, and her lips were super thin, like a paper cut and she was at least eight feet tall. She had no nose, and she wore a black latex suit. I rubbed my eyes, trying to make sure she was real. I gaped in horror as she picked up Leela by her neck and threw her off the cliff like it was nothing. I shrieked, and the monster turned towards me.

I quickly ran back to the house, screaming. A few guests near me started to stare but I didn't care. It worked like a domino effect and soon everybody started to gape at me. My father pushed through the wide-eyed crowd and grabbed me by the elbows, worry painted on his face.

"What's wrong?" He inquired, his eyes wide with fear.

"Leela, she-she, argh!" I groaned, pulling my hair in frustration, "She's dead, papa. Someone-something pushed her off the cliff."

I gasped between loud sobs, as my dadu rushed outside to check. My father pulled me to his chest and I hid my head in the crook of his neck.

Leela was gone.

***

"There is nothing there." My dadu announced, "I'm sorry, please get back to the party."

He then gave me the dirtiest glare, "My poti has a wild imagination."

The guests whispered among themselves as my father herded them back into the house.

Dadu grabs a fistful of my hair and starts pulling me. I yell, trying to swat his hand away but I shut up when he gave me a tight slap. This wasn't new, every little mistake, whether it was made by me or not, earned me a tight slap. From him, from my father's brothers, and even from their wives. My cheek started bleeding because of the cut made by his expensive diamond ring.

He pulls me into my room and throws me on the bed, "You crazy girl! You couldn't go one day without embarrassing me?! Just wait, I'll have you shipped off to the farthest mental hospital so you'll be out of our life for good!"

"I'm not crazy! I know what I saw!" I screamed, blood roaring in my ears,

"That's it!" He screamed and picked up a vase to hit me. I covered my face with my arms, bracing myself for impact.

"Papa" I looked up to see my father in front of me, his hands clutching dadu's hands, "Please."

My father and dadu left, the latter slamming the door behind him.

I needed to leave. To run away, for everybody's sake. Plus, if I stay here, I'll be shipped off to a psych ward where I'll be dead anyway. So, I made my decision.

I'll run away and never look back.

poti: grand daughter