part 1

Virgil walked through the crowded halls with his hands wrapped tightly around the strap of his bag. Everyone was so loud, it felt like a zoo.

The thing he needed least at this moment was for someone to touch him, but that didn't stop Patton from reaching out his arm and grabbing Virgil's shoulder.

"Hey Virge, I was looking for you everywhere, i thought you said you were coming to lunch with us?"

great. another thing he would have to deal with.

"oh shit did I?" his voice was sharp and cold. "guess I forgot but no big deal I'll just sit with you tomorrow-"

"oh, there's no need for that we still have another..." Patton's sentence trailed off as he looked down at his watch. "fifteen minutes?"

Virgil sighed. why today of all days? sure it was his fault for absent mindedly accepting Patton's offer in class earlier that day but still, did god have it out for him? or was it some other unearthly being deciding that his day should go to shit. Despite his unwillingness, he followed Patton through the busy hallways into the school cafeteria, where he was met with 2 voices competing with each other about something that Virgil really couldn't care less about.

It was Logan who was the first to greet him.

"ah, Virgil, you're here."

"hey."

Did Virgil say something wrong? why wasn't Logan replying? why was he looking him up and down like that? No one dared to break the awkward silence

until 

"have you lost weight?"

so that's why he was studying him so carefully.