06

"So,.... What I hear is... He's handsome..? "

"MOM!!! "

Mom cackles gleefully and takes immense joy in my suffering. My face is flaming up. I huff out a breath and take a sip of my iced tea to cool down. I came to meet my Mom as was my Sunday ritual, discussing our lives over cool ice tea,  coffee or hot chocolates, as the weather of the day demanded. Telling her about my new workplace was incomplete without discussing my enigmatic boss.

"He is... kind, and very patient. You know, I've never seen him yell once. "

"There's this thing you know, empty cans make more noise. If a person is full of true wisdom, knowledge... He immediately understands the value of doing things silently. He doesn't feel the need to bring down others to increase his value. He knows his own value. "

I ponder deeply on her words. Such deep words... And yes, I can vision it. Mr. Choi is profoundly knowledgeable, and he uses his value to help his team. He knows his value and doesn't feel the need to bring down others for validation.

"Deep words, Mom. And every bit true.. "

She just smiles peacefully. She picks an apple, peeling it's skin and cutting it into pieces. She picks a piece and feeds me.

"So,.. I'm very glad. You are getting an opportunity to learn and grow. I just. . . want you to. . . . make new friends... create new experiences..... see new things.. find love. "

"Mom.... "

"I know you hate changes... But you have to admit, some changes are for good. You need to stop holding on to things which hurt you. Learn the art of letting go. "

I sigh. Has my friendship with Hana hurting me? I understand, we are not the same anymore. We are adults, she is married. Things are bound to change. But I've felt neglected, ignored and alone.

And when it comes to Jake.. yes, friendship with him hurted me. For the last few years, it had been nothing but wondering where do I land in his list of priorities.

Maybe, Mom is right. I've already changed my job. It has been an amazing change so far. Maybe accepting other changes will lead to other amazing things. With that, I bid my Mom goodbye and race to my apartment for getting ready for karaoke night with Bora and Suyeong.

The night air feels charged as I sip some more of my pink glittery cocktail while giggling with Bora. We are sitting in this small, hole in the wall bar owned by Bora's cousin. I feel cute and pretty in my pink sequined top and denim skirt, that Bora pulled out from the depths of my wardrobe. It had been a long time since I felt like this — alive, young, happy and carefree. I giggle and laugh, make jokes and no worry or negativity plagues my mind that tomorrow I might be humiliated or ignored.

"And then he said,.... I don't like your nails, it's too long. Pfftt... as if. Dude I just met you! "

"Girl, good for you. Now help me out. I need to ask this girl out. "

Bora squeals when she hears about Suyeong's mystery girl. Apparently, he had this massive crush on one of his seniors in high school. But back then she was pretty happy with her boyfriend. Recently, Suyeong connected with her on social media and they were chatting and reconnecting.

"Don't overdo it! Just try to be natural, ask her out to lunch or coffee and see where it goes. "

After spending few hours more sipping on two more drinks, we all got out and took a cab to the karaoke. I recognized the place as there was this restaurant beside it, where people from my previous firm visited. The restaurant wasn't all that fancy, in fact, it was quite the opposite. It was a greasy place, smelling of stale alcohol and cigarette smoke. The few times I've gone there, I only returned with disappointment and burning haze of vicious comments from my boss and colleagues.

We soon were immersed in singing our hearts out. The next two hours are a happy blur. We sing an uncountable number of songs, dance and jump around, drink some more beer and eat a lot of fried chicken.

We stumble out, Bora and Suyeong who live in the same direction hire a cab together. But they start whining as they don't want to leave me alone.

"Its okay guys, my cab's almost here. "

"But we don't want to leave you! "

"I'm telling you both! I'll be fine. I'll even text you my location, if that helps. "

With that, they finally leave. I decide to wait for my cab, which showed ten minutes away. I reminisce all the events of the day, it was definitely lovely. All that laughter, music and drinks were pure shot of serotonin.

The night is cool and my heart feels light. A sudden thought hits me,.. I want Jake to see me like this. This new me, who is confident, goes out and is happy. A changed me. And the change was due to some people leaving and new people entering my life.

Thinking of new people, I can't help but think of him. Often I catch myself wanting to know if Mr. Choi is impressed by me. What does he see when he looks at me? I've never wanted to impress a person so much before.

"Is that you... Chae Ahrin?! "

I would know that mocking voice anywhere. It was definitely the one that echoed in my nightmares.

I pretended to not know them and prayed that my cab would be here already.

"Wahh.... Its been so long. The least you could do was give us all a farewell party. "

He grabbed my chin harshly, forcing me to look at them. Kim Dawon, my own personal tormentor. We had started in the same training programme at Kim Co. Like me, he didn't have a degree in designing. But that never mattered. He was the nephew of the leader of the opposition political party. Things only sailed smoothly for Kim Dawon.

He kept my other colleagues in a trance. Power was surely addicting, and Kim Dawon was providing it for free.

"Wow! You have gained the nerve to stare back... And, what is this..? These clothes don't suit someone like you Ahrin. Don't they make you feel like an impostor? "

The others laughed. The voices were ringing in my head.

"Dawon-ah,.. I've to deal with that stupid project she abruptly left behind. Can't you make her pay for it?.. "

Rumi pouted, looking like a seal. This was ridiculous. Just today, I thought I had moved on. But now I feel pathetic again, as their words hurt me.

"Was that small restaurant design too much to handle, Ahrinnie! Omo, it must have been. Why would leave out of nowhere? God, I was waiting for this.. The day you finally admit, you are absolutely useless.. Not a drop of talent inside you. "

"I work at Hylift... That's - uh... why.. "

"You seriously expect us to believe that?! Do we look like morons?! Why in the world would Hylift hire a pathetic, no good loser like you?! "

My ears are ringing. I'm vaguely aware of the crowd around me. All I could see are the mocking smiles and evil eyes gleaming at me. Dawon wasn't done. He opened his mouth to continue his assault.

"ENOUGH! "