05

Mornings are not my forte, like ever. I don't do well. I'm drowsy, tired, with a crick in my neck for sleeping wrong, eye bags so dark they look like bruises and trying to hold on to the last peaceful seconds of the day. Or so I thought. Apparently if you've something to look forward to, you do feel good in the mornings. I'm standing here in front of my mirror in my ratty tee and pajama with holes, trying to decide which top pairs better with my new grey sleek pencil skirt. The eggs for my toast are boiling away, and the kettle whistles.

It has been two weeks since I joined Hylift Co. Along with me, there were two more - Suyeong and Bora. We were instructed to shadow the group of senior designers, who were currently tackling a project, to understand how everything progressed. It was easily the best time of my life. I learned loads. We are encouraged to present our inputs and the seniors were ready to help us through our problems.We were allowed breaks and the company offered free gym memberships so that we could stay fit. I finally decide on the white  embroidered Peter Pan collar shirt. I quickly shove down toast smeared with butter, an egg and some coffee.

Taking the bus, it takes almost 20 minutes to reach my office. I look around and don't spot the sleek black sedan that belongs to Mr. Choi and I breathe out a sigh of relief. Call it work ethics or old habits, but I follow a rule of always being earlier than the boss.

The first day I arrived, I saw Mr. Choi parking his sedan and rushed. But it could be his long legs, he caught up to the elevator. I couldn't figure out what to do, so I bowed and wished him a good morning. He nodded in return and looked away. Safe to say it was the most awkward and anxious five minutes. When the elevator dinged indicating I had reached my floor, I bowed again and had almost walked out when he murmured good luck to me on my first day. His voice, a low timber, left a series of tingles on my skin and a tantalizing hum in my brain. He was fixing his glasses, and looking everywhere except at me.

Mr. Choi was apparently a quiet person. His face looked stern and fierce, but his voice was calm and actions and mannerisms elegant. He never had to yell to get his junior's respect, his quiet but firm ways did it. If he didn't like something, he pointed it out but never put someone down for a mistake. It was almost like a fairytale. I shared this with Hueningkai and he felt bad that I was shocked by basic decency and good work ethics.

I sat in my cubicle and started the day, feeling so energized and refreshed like I had downed two energy drinks. Except there was no negative, nervous thrums under my skin.

It was almost six and I packed up the last file. Bora stopped by pulling me out of my chair and dragging me to the restroom to refresh our makeup. We were having a small team dinner to celebrate the new members. I put on a fresh layer of tint on my lips, and let my hair down from the confines of the clip.

Down in the lobby, there were four of us, me, Bora, Suyeong and Cha Siwon, a senior I was shadowing. Soon, we are joined by Hueningkai, Mr. Choi and another senior. Hueningkai immediately came towards us, chatting about our day.

Bora was spunky and full of life, adding spots of colours every where be it her office attire with a touch of neon blazer or our conversations with her humour. Suyeong was the typical 'boy next door', sunny and charming.

Mr. Choi walked down from his office arguing on his phone again. He seemed stressed, but being the gentleman he was, he politely hung up and turned to us.

"Let's head out, shall we? I heard the Kwon's are busy tonight. "

Kwon's being the most popular outdoor terrace restaurant spot in Seoul. But we at Hylift Co. got a heavy discount as we renovated the place. I learn all this from Bora, as we make our way there.

Stay Stay Stay ||Choi Yeonjun||जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें