Chapter 3

(Time skip to 2 years later, Kalley and Jennings are now 8. We're also getting closer to the events of the main story)

I got up and stretched. Another day of helping with toys. Yay. I got out of bed and got dressed. I then waited for Jennings by the door to our room. He took forever to get up and ready, but once he did, we left for the Lab. As we walked in, I grabbed my folder full of my art over the past two years. I went to grab one of the papers, A drawing of a Prey mantis character, in the style of thew Smiling Critters from a few years back. My plan was to try and re-draw it, but I couldn't. I just couldn't find it. Someone had taken it. I got up suddenly, which caught Jennings off guard.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"Someone took my stuff, and the only people who come in here are the scientists," I said angrily.

"So, you're gonna go and 'talk' to them?" He checked.

"Yes," I confirmed, "I don't want them touching my stuff."

Jennings just sighed and went back to his math while I walked up to the door. I knocked on the door and Alyssa opened it up. She looked down at me and smiled.

"Hi Kalley! Do you need something?" She asked.

"I'm missing my drawing, and you and Mike are the only other people who come in this room with me and Jennings," I explained.

"Oh yes! We did take it, but it's for a surprise," Alyssa said.

"Surprise?" I repeated, confused.

"Yeah, you'll be able to see in a few days," Alyssa said.

"Okay," I grunted, and walked back to the table with Jennings.

"Did you figure out the paper issue?" Jennings asked.

"They said they needed it for a surprise," I answered.

Jennings didn't seemed fazed by that answer and went back to his work sheets. I grabbed out another sheet of paper and started drawing a new character. She was spider like and I named her 'Fantasma'. 

I went back to Home Sweet Home later that night, expecting to see Dakota watching another episode of The Smiling Critters, but he wasn't there. I later learned him and like seven other kids got adopted. I truly only cared about Dakota being gone because he was the only one I knew. Plus he was my only other friend besides Jennings. I sat down on my bed, sad Dakota was gone. But I was excited to see what the surprise was. This next week was gonna be a whirlwind.