What ran its Course

Beth POV:
It was 5 a.m. when the alarm went off. I turned to feel that the other side of the bed was empty, which had started to become regular. When I wake up, Daan is not in bed. I've brought it up plenty of times, and every time it's the same three answers as last: "I didn't want to wake you; it was too hot; I went to have a shower." I don't remember the last time I woke up with her, and she had started to distance herself from me, which had me spiraling.

The season had ended, which meant that Daan was heading to the Olympics in less than two months, as well as a few others from the team. After sitting in bed for a little while, I walked into the kitchen, ready to hear why Daan was not in bed, but I was met with a very serious-looking Daan asking me to sit down.

I was worried that I had done something wrong. "Beth, you know how my contract was up at the end of the season." My heart dropped. I had completely forgotten that her contract was up. "Yes," I answered meekly, "well, I've decided that I am going to Lyon at the start of next season. I need some other opportunities. I'm 29 and I don't know how long I have left to play, and I don't want to have any regrets." Now that I know this, I decided to ask this question one last time: "Is this why I've been waking up alone?" "I want you to get used to me not being there in the morning." My heart broke even more. "Are you breaking up with me?" No, why would you think that? Just because I'm not going to physically be here with you doesn't mean I'm breaking up with  you." Daan said that had pushed all the doubts I had out of my head.

Over the next few months, we spent as much time together as we could. Soon, we will not be able to. I was not a part of the GB Olympic squad, so I cheered on Daan from the TV.

Viv was having a great tournament. She had broken the Olympic record by scoring 10 goals in four matches; unfortunately, they lost on penalties against the USA. This would also mark the last time I would be seeing Daan.

By the time October rolled around, both Daan and I decided to call it quits. The love we had for each other had just fizzled out, and the long distance between us was not helping. We decided we would still be friends, and when she started to get feelings for one of her teammates at Lyon, Ellie Carpenter She had let me know as well when they started dating so that I would not be blindsided and find out through social media.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: I should be able to get more chapters out today or tomorrow, it's currently 1:35 am for me right now and have class in less than 5 hours.