Chapter four.

Skylar

The next day went about as well as I would've imagined. After yesterday's argument Millie didn't say a word, not only to Mom and Gale, but me and James as well. Not during breakfast, at school, or even after school. I was getting a little worried.

I went over to her room to check on her but I saw James there. I leaned against the doorway listening into their conversation.

"God, it's so hard to talk to her. Every times she looks at me. It's...I can't even explain it." Her voice cracked. "Its like when Dad showed her the divorce papers. It's like she's not sad, she's just pitiful of me. Like I'm the one in the wrong. Am I in the wrong, James?" She asked with a whispered voice, looking up at James with watery eyes.

James eyes wavered. He didn't know what to say. Should I walk in, is this the time for comedy? What do I do, I need to fix this? I thought. My thoughts were interrupted by knocking on the door.

Mille wiped her tears and James stood up. I realized they would figure out I was listening in on there conversation. I ran to the stairs, but I heard a snicker behind me.

"Skylar, we knew you were there." Millie said. Her voice slightly raspy.

"Oh, umm darn it?" I said, hoping to make them laugh. When I heard the snickering of my siblings. I knew I did the right thing, it's a hard job making these two laugh every day, but I'm a professional.

There was another knock on there door, this time more rushed. Since I was already on the stairs I rushed down and opened the door. The was Jacob, tears flowing down his face. Damn what's up with everyone crying today?

James.

When I got downstairs I saw Jacob with tears falling down his face. He looked up at me, and a wave of guilt came. Did I do something? Did I not do something? Was this my fault?

I calmed myself down before I jumped in a rabbit hole of guilt and panic. I walked over, he wiped some tears, "Sorry I just showed up...can I talk to you for a second."

It took me a second before I realized he was talking to me. "Yeah, yeah. Of course come in."

He nodded to Skylar before walking in. Millie and Skylar gave me a confused look. I gave them one back.

"Do you mind if I sit on the couch?"

"Yeah go ahead."

Jacob sat down and I sat next to him. Millie sat on the back on the couch and Skylar sat in the other side of him. He choked out some words, "My....my sister is missing....umm....and." He swallowed."My parents are acting like they don't even care...and...I ...I don't know what to do. They won't help me look for her...or even ask around." He started to cry.

Millie and Skylar had a sober expression on their faces. I patted his back and he hugged me, his tear wetting my shirt. Unexpectedly, I started smiling, I knew I shouldn't. It wasn't the right time nor place. But I did, I felt my cheeks burn and my stomach curled(not in a bad way.)

I saw Millie's eyes wided and she shook her head, and Skylar mouthed the words, "Don't smile."  I suppressed the urge to giggle and patted his back. "Don't worry, well help you look for her." Mille sad somberly.

After calming Jacob down, the siblings talked with him and tried to think of where she could have gone. Later in the night, Millie sat on her bed with her laptop. She was doing research on the "Lord's Chosen Ones" had  had been writing down notes. She couldn't shake the feelings that the cult and Jacob's missing sister were connected.

Hey, it's I.M. I'm so so sorry that this took so long. I haven't found any time to write, and I haven't had any motivation at all. I'm going to take a break for a while. I'll probably write a few chapters here and there but I just need a break. Sorry this is so short.-Mads