8| i̶n̶f̶e̶c̶t̶e̶d̶

Start from the beginning

"Is it everything you hoped for?" Joel's voice brought Rose out of her thoughts.

"The jury's still out, but you can't deny that view," Ellie replied to his question as she looked out over the city.

The man gave her a soft smile before turning to Rose, who looked at him with wide, nervous eyes. He patted Ellie on the shoulder and beckoned Tess over.

"C'mon, let's get there before dark."

"Wait. ." Rose started as she glanced between the group.

"I'll explain everything to you later. We gotta get movin' -" Joel started, only for Rose to stop him.

"Maybe I shouldn't come." She licked her lips nervously, her stomach sinking at the thought of parting ways with him already.

"What? No. You're comin' with us, Rose." He shook his head at her words.

"Listen, there's. . people lookin for me. I shouldn't drag you into it." She responded as he approached her. Tess shot him a weary look after hearing her.

"Roselyn, enough. I don't care who's comin' after ya. You're comin' with us. I will not leave you alone - again." He sternly told her before turning back to the other two.

Even though he was scolding her, Rose couldn't help but smile at his words. He was the only one she allowed to call her by her full name, and he didn't hesitate. She nodded at the man and followed them as they laid a long wooden plank down to connect the rooftops.

"Be careful." He told Ellie as she walked across.

Tess went after, followed by Rose nervously following behind. Joel went across last before taking the lead.

Rose took a deep breath as she followed after the group, relieved that she had found Joel again but still nervous about the people out looking for her.

The sun was beginning to set as they approached their destination. All Rose knew was that they were bringing Ellie to the Fireflies, a group she had heard of a few times before. She was curious as to what was so important about the young girl, but no one gave it up.

They noticed a large truck abandoned right outside as they approached the building. Tess carefully snuck up, her gun ready, and surveyed the vehicle. She let out a sigh as she looked around the empty place.

"Where the fuck are they?" She huffed.

Rose looked around and noticed where Ellie was standing; blood splashed onto the pavement leading up to the front doors.

"What the fuck is going on?" Tess grew angrier.

"I don't know." Joel replied as he looked around, trying to make sense of the situation.

"They went inside." Ellie pointed to the blood.

"Come on." Tess walked over to the girl, grabbed her by the arm, and rushed her up the steps.

"Tess." Joel called after her.

Rose rushed after the woman as she dragged the girl behind her, slipping through the large doors. Joel called after the women, anger evident in his voice. He pulled his gun and hurried in after them, ready to shoot anyone he needed to.

Rose halted as she took in the scene before her. Bodies littered the floor, blood smeared across the smooth tiles. She slowly approached one of the dead, examining their now grey skin. Joel gently pulled her back, not wanting her so close to what might turn into an infected.

"Oh, Jesus." Tess muttered as she frantically looked around the large room.

She ran over to the tables put up, looking through all the items spread across them. She threw things aside as she hastily tried to find something. She grew frustrated as she went to the bodies, looking them over.