8| i̶n̶f̶e̶c̶t̶e̶d̶

( now )

( now )

          ROSE DIDN'T WANT to let go of Joel, who held her so tight she felt like she couldn't breathe—but she didn't care. Her mind was racing with questions, confusion, and, most of all, relief. He was alive and here, right in front of her.

"I hate breaking up this little reunion, but we gotta keep moving." The woman spoke from behind the two, watching the interaction with a slightly uncomfortable look.

Joel pulled away after a moment and met Rose's gaze again before nodding. He turned to the other two before gesturing to follow. The small group walked across the room and waited as he popped open a window, allowing them access to the roof.

"Tess, you good?" He asked the woman, who nodded.

"Just a sprained ankle. I'll survive. Let's go." She assured him.

Joel slipped out the window first, followed by the young girl, Tess, and then Rose. The brunette slowly walked over to the edge of the building and looked out over the city. The wind gently blew through her tattered hair as she closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

Joel watched Rose closely as he helped Tess sit down and attend to her injury. As he bent down to wrap her ankle, he couldn't help but glance over at the brunette. He just couldn't believe she was alive and here - with him again.

"Ellie, go over there for a minute. We need to talk." He instructed the young girl, gesturing to give him and Tess some space.

She shook her head and shuffled her way to where Rose was taking in the breeze. The girl studied her for a moment before speaking.

"Who are you?" She bluntly asked.

Rose turned to look at the little girl and tilted her head slightly at the tone she used. She thought for a moment before replying to the question.

"Rose."

"Yeah, I got that. But, who are you. . to him?" She jerked her thumb in Joel's direction, earning a sigh from the brunette.

"We were close before the outbreak." She told her truthfully.

"And?" Ellie waited for her to continue.

"And that's all you need to know, kid. What's your name?" Rose chuckled softly at the face she made.

"Ellie."

"How do you know Joel?" Rose asked her.

"Eh, it's a long story." She muttered as she played with the sleeves of her jacket, not wanting to continue the conversation now that it was about her.

Rose leaned back over the railing, closed her eyes, and took a deep breath. She wasn't sure what was going to happen now. Would Joel just accept her again and let her stay with his group? Would Tess allow that? She didn't want to be alone again, not while being hunted. But she also didn't want to put them in danger.