Chapter 8- Inej

She looked at Kaz, crouched outside Lara's door as he locked it, wondering at his sudden change of heart. Trying to work out how he'd known about the beatings and the bruising on her shoulder. Inej focused on his face, relaxed, maybe even happy! At the slight smile playing on his lips, the light in his dark eyes. It hadn't been there when they left the room, or even when the door was safely closed. It had only appeared when his lockpicks were in his hands. And then she realised...this was what made him happy. Lockpicking. The thought caused an unexpected pang in her heart.

She had a flashback to to Jes and Wy in the living room on the night she got into Ketterdam. She'd asked after Kaz and they said they didn't know much. That he'd never once visited to their knowledge. But whenever they'd seen him in passing, he looked terrible. Even more sleep deprived than usual. To the outside world, he looked completely calm and in control. But to the few who knew him, they could see the signs. The dark shadows under his eyes, so conspicuous that to most, it would just seem like shadows playing across his face. The way he clutched his cane tighter. And of course, the slight mood change. 

"When I looked at him," Wylan had said, "his eyes were darker than usual. Colder. And completely expressionless. Empty."

"And that's not half of it!" Jesper exclaimed as he poured himself a second glass of Kerch Whiskey. "A kid, green, fresh from a farm on the outskirts of the city, tried to pickpocket him. And Kaz broke his arm! In broad daylight! We both saw it!"

Now, as Inej also spotted the signs she'd tried so hard to ignore, dismissing Wylan and Jesper's concerns as "normal for Kaz", she began to question whether she should've maybe made an effort to dock in Ketterdam before. She'd had plenty of chances to, but she hadn't. Because she was scared she'd grow too attached to Kaz and full head over heels, and start loving him again. But now she realised she'd never stopped. 

Tears flooded her eyes. Kaz was going to burn himself out. She couldn't let that happen. 

"Kaz," she said thickly. 

He stood up and turned,"Inej?" There was a flash of concern in his eyes as he took in her sparkling own. 

"Can I talk to you?"

He gave a brief nod. 

"Can we...head upstairs? It's important and I...don't want anyone overhearing."

He raised an eyebrow.

"Please?" A single tear spilled over and rolled down her cheek. 

"Lead the way, Wraith."

Inej nodded, a slight warmth breaking through her aching sadness. She used to say that she hated the nickname, that it made her sound like a ghost. But now...it felt familiar. Like a warm hug or a vase of geraniums waiting for her on the windowsill after a long, hard day. She turned towards the stairs, but Kaz stopped her. "Oh, and Inej. If anyone hurt you, I promise I'll come for them." There was that cold darkness. Dirtyhands had taken the reins. 

"No one's hurt me, Kaz," she said softly. No one except you.

He raised an eyebrow, but still followed her up the stairs to her room. The door closed behind them, and an expectant silence radiated off Kaz in strong waves. 

"Ok," Inej sighed and took a deep breath. "Kaz," she started, "Jesper and Wylan...they're worried about you."

"Any particular reason?" He asked, his tone icy.

"You're different. You don't sleep, you're on edge, you absorb yourself in your work, you don't visit them..."

"What, like you visited me?"

"Kaz..."

"NO!" He took a deep breath. "Inej, I don't understand why you're crying because someone else is worried about me."

"Because you're going to burn yourself out, Kaz. And I don't want that to happen."

"And what do you suggest I do, oh wise Inej?" He said mockingly.

"Kaz..."

"WHAT DO I DO?" He yelled, before sighing wearily and lowering his voice. "What do I do, Inej? What do I do when my crew is disbanded, when my whole life is turned upside down? And what do I do when a girl turns up, a girl who's my family, a girl I didn't even know existed, who's barely more than a kid, turns up suddenly and dredges up the past?"

"You take a breath. You pause." Inej said, softly. "And you start with getting a proper sleep and taking a break."

"I really don't think..."

Her only reply was a cold glare, cutting him off, before she said firmly, "Bed."

"So, what, I just waltz into The Slat and drop off?"

"No, you sleep here where I can keep an eye on you."

"Things still need to be done!"

"They can wait for at least two weeks."

"Absolutely not!"

She sighed, suddenly tired, and said pleadingly, "Just sleep. Please. For me."

Kaz scrubbed an exhausted hand over his face and sat on the bed.

"The nightmares..." he started.

"You'll be fine. You'll be in a deep enough sleep that you won't get them."

He leant his cane against the wall, took off his jacket, waistcoat, shoes and socks, and finally his gloves, and left them in a pile on the bedside table.

"Where will you sleep?" He asked as he lay back.

"I'll be fine in the chair." Inej said.

Kaz tried to protest but she cut him off, "I will be, I promise. Oh, and Kaz? I'm proud of you. For what you're doing for Lara."

"Don't expect me to get soft, Wraith."

"I wouldn't dare," she replies, a soft smirk tugging at her lips. 

A few silent minutes passed. And then Kaz was asleep.

The Water's Rising.On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara