Chapter 2-Inej

Inej crouched on the window ledge, swathed in shadow. There were no lights to illuminate the front of this poky little boarding house, crammed as it was into an alley in one of the worst parts of The Barrel. She eased the window open and crept inside. The girl was asleep in her narrow bed, shivering under her thin blanket. For a moment, Inej felt bad about what she would have to do. But then she focused, letting all the guilt and doubt slip away. She wasn't going to hurt the girl, and she'd try and convince Kaz not to either. But there was a job to be done.

She pulled the blanket off the child and grabbed her shoulders, hauling her up so she was leaning against Inej, as a knife was held against her throat. The girl opened her mouth to scream, but Inej pressed the blade in deeper. "Shh." she whispered. "Don't scream. I don't want to have to hurt you."

" Who are you? What do you want with me?" Her voice trembled. She was so young, maybe only 12.

"No questions. Boots on. Then we'll go on a little walk."

Inej moved aside as the girl reached for her boots, but kept the blade digging into her side. When she was done, Inej swapped her blade for her smallest one, Sankt Vladimir and slipped the child's hand into her own. If anyone saw, they'd look like they were just out for a stroll together.

The Wraith pulled her mask up. "Walk."

The girl obliged, and Inej led her out of the boarding house and through the dingy back alleys until she reached a narrow canal. She'd left a gondel there. "Row," She said, as she shoved the girl in. 

She did as she was told, eyes wide, terrified. "You're The Wraith, aren't you? I've heard about you. The best at hand-to-hand combat in Ketterdam, maybe even the whole world. You fight slavers, don't you? Look, please..."

Inej cut in before she got hysterical. "I'm not going to hurt you. I'm just here to bring you to my associate. But hush now. We don't want any tears."

The girl nodded, trying to take deep, sniffling breaths, and they rowed down the canals into The Warehouse District, Sankt Vladimir still digging into the her side as Inej sat back, keeping her eyes trained on her hostage.

"Take a right here."

The hostage did so, and before long, they reached the warehouse. "Now," said Inej gently, "what's about to happen can be a bit scary, but I'm on your side, alright?"

The girl gave a weak smile, and then they were walking into the dark, disused building. Right into Brekker's territory.