Fifteen

*time skip to the day before thanksgiving*

"So, my parents are going out of town this weekend," I said casually as Phil, Cat, and I walked down the hall, glad to be leaving. We had the next two days off for thanksgiving weekend, so everyone had been more cheerful than usual today.

"Really?" Cat shouted. "We should all three have a sleepover!"

"Cat, we aren't twelve," I mused.

"Come on Dan," she pleaded. "We haven't had a sleepover in forever."

I sighed in defeat. "Fine. Phil?" I asked.

"Oh, yeah, sounds fun!" He exclaimed.

We all made plans to meet at my house Friday evening at 5:30, which is two hours after my parents are supposed to leave.

"Okay, bye!" Cat turned to walk away.

"Wait, where are you going?" Phil asked before I could.

"I'm going out with Zoe," she answered and ran off in the other direction. I shuttered at the thought of Zoe.

"I'm not interested in you like that," I mumbled awkwardly. It was a few days after the party, and I had been avoiding her. Phil pointed out that it would be much easier if I just confronted her with how I felt.

"It's okay, I understand." Zoe replied sadly. "But thanks for the kiss anyways."

Phil smirked and looked away from us, and I had to keep myself from glaring at him.

"Do you think I could have one more?" Zoe asked innocently, looking up at me through her eyelashes.

"Actually, we gotta go. Come on," Phil said harshly. He grabbed my arm and pulled me away from a depleted-looking Zoe. I gave her an apologetic smile as we rounded the corner.

Phil watched as Cat walked off, then turned around and continued in the same direction that we were going with a shrug. "Do you want me to drive you home?" Phil asked.

"What? Oh, no, you don't have to do that," I responded.

"Dan, it's below freezing out there," he commented, his voice coming out a little more assertive than usual. "Let me drive you home."

I nodded, and he smiled triumphantly.

He was right about the temperature. I only brought one flimsy jacket to school because I forgot to bring my heavier one. I hugged it tightly to my body when we walked outside, but it didn't help much. Three steps out and I was already shivering.

"Are you cold?" Phil asked.

I shook my head, afraid that if I spoke he would hear the chattering of my teeth.

He peeled off one of his coats and put it over my shoulder, making me warm up instantly. "I don't want you to be cold," I murmured.

"Oh, I'm fine," he dismissed. "I've got two other coats on."

We arrived at his car, and I hopped in quickly, hoping that the inside would be warmer. It was slightly, but not enough to help at all. Phil put the key in the engine, and the car sputtered to life, filling the car with warm air.

I wrapped the borrowed jacket around me, and snuggled into it. It smelled like the warm vanilla and cinnamon cologne that he uses. I breathed it in happily, feeling warmer with every passing second.

I glanced over to see Phil hunched over the heater happily, letting the warm air cover his body. I snickered at the tall boy crouching over, looking like a troll. He peered up at me with a smile. "What?"