Chapter 4: Did she really refuse?

Start from the beginning

"How do you even know what I was thinking?! Do you always read other people's minds?!" I said through my gritted teeth and his tightening his grip around me.

"Yes..." Then...he reached his tail to my mask and slightly lowered it down.

"Don't!" I slapped his tail away and grabbed my dagger from my desk.

"Whoa! Calm down, Samantha!" He finally released himself from me and backed a few steps away.

"And why do you even need to know my name if you already know me?!" I shouted and pointed the dagger towards him.

"I just like teasing you."

"Leave!!"

"Fine, I'll leave. But I'm still going to visit you." He crawled out of the window and I dropped the weapon down.

"I'm going to kill that $#!+..."

After that day, he did kept coming over to my place and to the forest where I do my hunting. But...how did he became a snake? I don't think there's an attribute that can make you transform into any animal you want... Dummy! Copy magic can do the trick! Perhaps, maybe he also possess copy magic? After all, copy magic is meant to copy anything even other magical skills.

<<A two months later>>

Alexander's POV:

Tomorrow's the day of her birthday and I really need to get her the most perfect gift.

What should I get for her birthday?

Flowers? Letters? Jewelries?

Hmm...

Aha! Maybe a bracelet.

I do remember her changing her bracelet every once in a week when we were younger. I also remembered the silver bracelet that's around her wrist.

Maybe I should ask Josephine about it. I wonder if she already prepared her present for Samantha.

I was so busy thinking about what to give her when I heard a carriage stopped in front of our place. I looked out from the window and saw a flag waving on top of the carriage.

That's the Riccardo's flag!

I think it's Josephine and Carson coming to visit my twin brother, Alistair.

I hurried out of my room and went to see the duke talking to the king, my father. I looked around for Josephine and Carson but I think Lord Samuel didn't bring them here.

I sighed and was about to go back to my room when...

"Boo!" Josephine jumped in front of me with a silly mask and I, of course frowned at her funny joke.

"Haha... That was so funny..."I rolled my eyes and she just laughed it off.

"Were you looking for someone? Like, someone special?"

"I was looking for the both of you."

She and Carson looked at each other confused, then looked back to me.

"Why?" Carson asked raising an eyebrow at me.

"I...wanted to ask you something..."

"About what? About someone, is it?"

"Umm...kind of. Let's just go to my room to have a private conversation."

I gestured for them to follow me and they nodded as I lead them to my room.

I closed the door and faced them.

"So... what's the question?"

"I wanted to ask about... your uhh...gifts for... Samantha.....?"

When they heard her name, Carson's face darkened and Josephine's smile dropped into a frown.

"I-is there something wrong?"

Josephine sighed and looked at me with a mixture of worry and disappointment.

"It's just that...we never saw each other again ever since she had an accident. She didn't even came to my birthday nor visit me for once. She rejected every one of the invitations I had sent her. She also sent a letter saying that she doesn't want to see me again."

"She's just an ungrateful brat." Carson protested with his arms folded over his chest.

I didn't even know what to say about this. I don't think she rejected any of her sister's invitation. I read a piece of information from her mind about her preparing her gift for Josephine. But she never received any invitation.

"Are you sure you sent invitations to her?"

"Yes." They both replied in unison.

"And are you really sure that she sent you only one letter?"

The two looked confused and Josephine opened her mouth to say something.

"Why are you asking this all of a sudden?"

"You know I could read minds, right?"

"Yes...?"

"Maybe there's just someone stopping the both of you to see each other again."

"How can you be so sure about that?"

"I met her in the forest."

They both widened their eyes in surprise.

"D-did she say something to you?" She asked intently and I just shook my head.

"I was in my snake form at that time. But I did saw her slaughtered some monsters and wearing a mask."

"Slaughter? Did she became an assassin or a killer or something?"

"Maybe it's best if we come visit her tomorrow to answer your questions."

"..." Carson was silent as if he was trying to analyze something.

"Okay..." Josephine nodded and stood up from her seat.

"But first, we need to get her a birthday gift."

"Is she the one you're talking about and the one you were waiting at your birthday?"

"Yes."

"Then let's go! I'm going to get her a gift too!" She grabbed my and Carson's hand and ran outside.

We hopped in the carriage heading to the capital.

That was really weird. I didn't see anything about her refusing her sister when I read her mind. She only refused my invitation.

Did she really refuse her?

Something's getting a little fishy around here and I'm going to find that out.