Chapter 9

He was looking at me, looking at me like I was insane. I had just blurted out that I would die if I didn't find a rose. He wouldn't understand, no one ever did. I just had to find the rose and get away from these men, and The King. I couldn't believe I had met the King, especially like this. He had practically begged for her forgiveness after she had mistakenly been captured by his guards, but could only assume it was so I wouldn't tell others and they would lose respect for their King. That wouldn't happen. Even if I did tell someone, which I would never, they wouldn't believe me anyway. Just another reason for them to call me crazy. "What do you mean you would die?" Asked the King. "It's just," I stuttered. How could I explain? "Your majesty," I started. "Do you believe in magic?" He gave me a puzzled look. "Great," I thought, "He thinks I'm insane." "Is that an actual question?" He asked. "Yes, it's an actual question," I said. "Then yes, I do believe in magic." Said The King. "Well, you see," I started once again. "This particular rose, well, it's an enchanted rose." I expected him to say I was insane, but instead, he looked at me with thoughtful eyes. He lowered his voice and asked me, "Are you cursed?" I drew in a sharp breath. "Yes, I am, and if I don't find it, I'm not sure what will happen." "What is this curse?" He asked. I really didn't want to get into it, especially with The King. "The curse itself doesn't matter, it's just, that if I don't break it before the last petal falls, I will die." "Well don't worry," he said. "We will find this rose, and then I will help you break the curse."