Chapter 22

"In hindsight, that turned into a pretty funny story to tell at parties." Hitch pulled into my parking spot, stopping the car and letting it run as he turned to face me. His seatbelt stretched across his body.

"Yeah. I'm sure we'll be attending plenty of parties after this. We'll be fighting off the invitations with sticks." I grabbed the water bottle out of the cupholder. I took a sip before screwing the top back on.

"Touche. You seem like you were fun at parties. Before you hit rock bottom of course." He eyes me, unclipping his belt and crossing his arms over his chest. The sound of the radio is still quiet between us.

"Or at least at the beginning you probably were, before you forgot the word no. Taking any shot you're offered." "Okay, this conversation is over. I'm glad you seem to be having fun tonight." I took my sweatshirt, opened my door, and stepped into the parking lot.

"I bought you some gin. Figured you'd want some company after losing tonight." He called out, my window rolled down. He nodded at me, watching me walk backward away from him. Refusing to be the first to look away.

"Thanks. I'll be sure to pour one out for the part of me that's died." I began to turn again when I heard him speak once more. "You can't just magically get better you know. You have to work for it."

He sat in his seat and continued his lean towards my empty window. "Have you ever actually worked for anything in your life? Have you worked on making yourself not hate your life?"

He pulled himself closer to my window, leaning over the center console. "Six years of therapy, two hundred milligrams of pills a day, eight months of constant thoughts of killing myself. Is that enough to justify to you?" I stopped my movement, watching him from the sidewalk.

"You don't have to justify it to me. Justify it to the people who care. Let them know everything they put into you didn't work. I think they deserve that much. But who am I to say? My mom didn't say anything to me before she did it."

He rolled the window back up, and I could just make out through the darkness his tall frame leaning back into his seat. His head lay on the headrest. His eyes possibly closed or just stared up at the roof of the car.

I made my way to the apartment entrance, before stopping at the door. My hand froze on the handle. A large breath filled my chest. My feet carrying me back to the car, I knocked on my window.

"Do you want to come in? Don't say anything stupid or I might change my mind. I'm already on the fence about this decision." He stared at me blankly, before a slight smile reached his mouth and eyes.

"I know," He murmured. "I'll try my best. Okay?" His face disappeared behind the window again before the car became quiet. The bright of the headlights disappeared as he turned the car off.

He gets out of the car, looking completely at ease with my decision. His eyes shine underneath the light of the moon. I reach out and hold out my arm. "Don't get used to this," I say close to a whisper.

"It's supposed to rain tonight. I didn't want it to drive you crazy. The hitting against the car roof and all."

It seems to be what he needs to hear to know to continue with his distance. He follows distantly behind me as I make my way back to the entrance. I feel his eyes burn themselves into my back.

"Do you have a blanket in your car?" I turn back to face him, watching him closely while he keeps his distance.

He laughs, more to himself than gifting me with it. "Don't have many guests?" I shake my head, following his backward steps with my gaze. "Don't have any guests."