10] Black Magic

One part of flying that Ravenna hated was the landing

One part of flying that Ravenna hated was the landing. If she could live in the clouds with Maegon she would. But after years of persuasion, Mat had realised that the quickest way back to the Red Keep was on Dragonback so that was where he was, gripping onto Ravenna as he feared for his life. 

When they landed Ravenna reluctantly let Maegon be led back into the pit where the other dragons were housed. The pair stopped walking and Ravenna grabbed Mat's arm when she saw the iris of his eye go black then back to his normal brown, "What was it?"  

"Someone's dead." Mat said barely above a whisper 

It was then Ravenna saw Robb sitting on his horse waiting for her, normally he didn't do that. He wouldn't come and collect her from the Pit as she never told him that she was there. But just by the look on his face, Ravenna could tell something was wrong.

The princess walked towards her Sworn as he climbed down from his horse, holding the reins in his hand, "Princess, I come with news."

Ravenna moved herself in front of Mat when she saw the look on Robb's face, "We need him and you know it...Is it good or bad news?" Ravenna asked, though part of her really didn't want to know the answer. The family did not need any more bad news.

Robb sighed, "King Eddard and Lord Rickon...they're dead." Ravenna's eyes widened and Robb figured her next question before she even had the time to ask, "They both fell ill, which is why I'm assuming they were pushing for your marriage. They knew."

Cregan was the King. Edric was the new Lord of Winterfell.

"Where is he?" Ravenna asked

Robb slightly smiled, "Stables."

Ravenna nodded as he turned to Mat, "Find Lysander and Raziel...he needs to know. Now." 

"Consider it done." 

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── ·

Ravenna found Cregan exactly where she was told he would be, sitting amongst the hay and the straw with the horses. It didn't surprise her that that was where he would be, she knew that he loved horses, probably for the same reason that she loved riding her dragon.

He went to stand up when he saw but she just shook her head, as of that moment he was a higher rank than her.

"I'm so sorry." Ravenna said as she lowered herself to sit next to him

She could see that he was holding in every emotion that he was feeling, just as Rhaenyra had when Aemma died. He didn't know what to do, what to feel or how to act.

After minutes of sitting in silence, he finally spoke, "I'm not ready. I'm not ready to be King, I don't know how...how to be like him."

"You are ready and you don't have to be your father, you don't have to rule like him. You have to rule like you." Ravenna assured him, she couldn't even say she knew what he was feeling because he didn't, she was never set to inherit anything. But she knew that she could help, "We will figure it out...together." Cregan looked up at her, "If you'll still have me."

Ravenna moved her hand and took Cregans. They were alone, in the stables, Robb nor Edric were around. It was a risk, but neither cared, they were getting married any rumours that could possibly be made they could dispel.

"I apologise it's taken this long." Ravenna said,

Cregan just shook his head as he leaned forwards, his free hand holding the side of her face as he kissed her. It felt good, she had been kissed before, not that anyone needed to know that. But this one felt different, there were feelings there.

When they pulled away Ravenna looked at him, "I need you to come with me. There are some things you need to know." 

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── ·

"What are we doing in here, Ravenna?" Cregan asked as they walked into the library, Ravenna knew that it was one of the more darker rooms in the Red Keep, and that was exactly what she needed. 

She had never told anyone about the true power of Valere, everyone she surrounded herself with already knew

"What did I ask you when we first met?" Ravenna asked as she turned around to face Cregan 

Cregan answered immediately, as if that meeting had never left the front of his brain, "If I was afraid of Witches." 

Ravenna nodded, "And are you? Cregan Stark, are you afraid of witches?" He simply shook his head, "Good." she quickly curled all of her fingers into a fist and all of the light disappeared, left only by the sunlight. The shadows had taken hold, "Because I am very real." 

"What is this?" Cregan asked 

When Ravenna unclenched her fists, the shadows went down and the room returned to normal, she had seen the look that Cregan had in his eyes before. It wasn't fear. It was something else, "Before the Targaryens, there were Morrigans. The Targaryens were low level Dragonlords, Morrigans were high Dragonlords...still are. Whilst the Velaryons and the Targaryens forgot about the old magic, we didn't." 

Cregan let out a breath as he sat down on a chair, Ravenna walked toward him and sat down, "Keep going." he told her 

"Are you sure?" Ravenna asked and he nodded, he wasn't afraid. Yet, "It comes at a price, everything does." she laid her hand palm-up on the table and Cregan saw the small cut on her hand, "Blood is and shall ever be blood." 

Cregan's eye looked up and met her own, "I read about the old magic when I first arrived...are you a...Visionary?"  

Ravenna smiled and shook her head, "I'm not. No...Mat is." Cregan just nodded once more, but Ravenna could see how quickly his brain was moving, he was trying his hardest to show her that he wasn't afraid but she could see it in him. It was obvious. 

It always was. 

"So what they say...it's true?" 

Ravenna immediately shook her head, "No. We're not monsters, we're not a family of...of heathens. We're normal people who have a power that has been forgotten." 

The pair looked over to the door when there was a knock at it, Ravenna clicked her fingers and the doors swung open, "This looks cosy." Lysander remarked as he walked in with Mat and Raziel behind him

"Whatever you've heard, whatever has been spoken from people that aren't us...its a lie." Raziel said, immediately going into the defensive, but Ravenna didn't blame him. He wanted to protect their secret more than anything

"People should take that advice." Cregan said, looking directly at Mat 

The Visionary sighed as he sat down at the table, "I was wrong. Very, very incredibly wrong. I saw something...I got scared and I tried to change it. But I can't change what I see. I can change the way I view it, but that's it." 

"I won't let her down." Cregan said, but this time he wasn't just talking to Mat, he was talking to her brothers as well, "There has never lived a Stark who forgot an oath...I'm not about to start." 

Raziel nodded, "Good. Because if you did...to war we go."  

Thank you for reading

Valere lore is something I love, so if you have any question please ask. I LOVE talking about everything Valereverse.  

Comment and Vote