Chapter 44 - Red Rite

Start from the beginning

Berthier began speaking as he shuffled through documents.

"First, a report on the recent battle that occurred just before the return of the Supreme Commander. It has been confirmed that there was an attack by several hundred cavalry from Dahad's camp, and in response, some enemies managed to escape from the King's Landing."

"Who were the escaping enemies?"

A voice rose from one of Cloumille's generals in response to Bonaparte's inquiry. It was Nicket, the nephew of Abydod, with Norcet, who had an identical face, beside him.

"From the emblems left on the battlefield, it was determined that they were subjects of Duke Dordafton. It is presumed that the Duke himself was among those who escaped."

A commotion stirred among the commanders.

"To think that a commander would flee!" Kléber scoffed.

"What is the situation with Dahad's army?"

"Sir, according to General Desaix's report, they have already retreated more than forty kilometers eastward toward Axeland via the main highway leading from the Green Spirit Gate."

General Dumas added to Berthier's report.

"We have sent out cavalry to scout the area and have confirmed that, strangely enough, the enemy's numbers are dwindling."

"Queen Cloumille, do you have any idea why Dahad's numbers have decreased?"

"Most likely, it's because the protracted campaign prompted recruited soldiers to return home. Since the majority of infantry are peasants, they'd prefer to be in the fields during harvest season rather than on the battlefield. Nobles who have brought peasants to fight alongside them undoubtedly want them to return home as well. If the peasants aren't sent back to the fields to harvest, they can't collect taxes. However, this doesn't mean the enemy has weakened. What remains under Dahad are the wealthy elite who are loyal to him and can afford to keep soldiers on the battlefield. They are the cream of the crop. With the decrease in numbers, they'll likely consolidate and move more efficiently."

Bonaparte pondered. Dahad could no longer afford to keep troops on the battlefield. There was no choice but to abandon the siege of the King's Landing. If that was the case, it made sense to at least let the capable retainers escape. But then, which path to take?

One option was to launch a full-scale assault on the capital, now without a defender. If the defenders knew their leader had vanished for whatever reason, the morale of the troops would plummet. With superior numbers and some sections of the city walls already crumbling, it would likely fall easily.

Another option was to ignore the King's Landing and pursue the diminished Dahad's army. Cross all troops north of the Saole River and chase them down. Pursuing an enemy reduced to about 10.000 with over 20.000 troops would ensure victory. If Dahad himself was taken out, it would essentially end this conflict. However, on the northern bank of the royal capital, near the Green Spirit Gate, there were only three simple bridges made by connecting boats with planks. While troops had crossed during battles such as the one on Coronation Hill, that was a temporary measure, leaving behind supply wagons. Chasing Dahad's army could potentially take more than ten days, and uncertainties about supply routes remained. If the Saole River became turbulent and the bridges were swept away during the pursuit, the entire army could become isolated within enemy territory. The risks were high.

Now, what should be done?

"Berthier, how much gunpowder do we have left?"

"We have only a small amount on hand. Generals Desaix and Reynier's divisions were supplied first, so they may have some left, but the remaining units will likely run out if they engage in full-scale combat."