"I don't know what I'm here but it dosent matter. Im happy I found you." I say hugging her again. Its hard to keep myself form crying. After all that worry and fuss, here she is, in my arms. We just need to find a way out of this place and go home together. Back to the town.

Jess hugs back, but quickly lets me go. Her voice is now stern. "Jazzy, you shouldn't be here. You have to go."

I'm confused. "Why?" I ask, sounding hurt.

She looks around before replying quietly, "This is the land of the dead."

I try to process this. She's here. I'm here. Why is that? We can't be dead. I have so many questions that start spilling out of me, but she ignores them, grabbing my hand. She starts running, pulling me with her towards a door. I manage to shout out one question. "Does this mean you're dead?"

She turns to look at me with sad eyes, but dosent respond. We stop in front of the door. Oddly enough, I don't feel tired at all from our run.

"Jess? I'm sorry," I say softly. "I should've realized sooner you weren't happy. I should have listened to you. Its my fault. I'm so sorry-" She presses her lips to mine quickly, stopping me from finishing. Before I know it, she's shoving me into an open door.

"Jess!" I shout turning towards her again. I don't want to leave. Not if I have to leave without her.

While she's still in sight, I shout that I love her.

Her lips move, but I don't hear a reply.

---

I wake up in a bed in our local medical center. My head aces like never before, as does the rest of me. The pounding in my head makes it hard to focus. My eyes blink a few times a row until the world is clear, and I see a few of my friends standing by my bed. They seem excited that I'm awake.

Linda grabs my and and smiles at me, Squeezing it tightly. God, that hurts. I still don't know why i'm sore, though. She has happy tears in her eyes. "You're awake! Finally!"

My other neighbors react the same way. I don't know whats going on but then Mayor comes in, and the others leave. I sigh contentedly. I know he'll explain whats happening. Heists in the chair by my bed, looking at me. I wonder what kind of state. I'm in with how everybody's been staring.

"You're probably wondering what went on by now, Huh?" He asks quietly, which is actually really considerate of him. My headache seems to be amplifying all the other sounds, and loud noises just make it hurt words, so I'm grateful for the low volume. I nod at him, signaling for him to explain.

"This is hard news for all of us, Jazzy," He says, grabbing my hand and looking me in the eyes. "Jess was found dead by the Great Rock. She'd been struck by lightning. Right after you found her, Lightning struck right next to you. The force from it knocked you out. We are all just thankful you are alive, really."

I close my eyes. It makes sense now. Jess is really dead. But I'm still here...

He continues. "You were in worse condition before we brought you here, but it looks like you're better now. Hopefully you'll be able to leave soon," He says, then lets go of my hand. He looks at me sympathetically. "We're all mourning Jess, but we'll make her grave special."

He leaves before I can ask him what he means. I end up falling asleep again, but before I am unconscious i notice the sound of rain outside.

---

In two days, I'm well enough to go home.

I look at myself in the hospital's bathroom mirror. My head is wrapped in a bandage; apparently when the lightning hit, I was knocked into the rock nearby and hit my head. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but it did leave quite a mark. The rest of me is covered in bruises and burns. It's not a pleasant feeling at all.

Other than that, I look alright. I'm still wearing the same clothes from before. I actually feel a logger grateful that my injuries weren't worse. I feel like I'm forgetting something, but I can't remember what Until I actually walk outside into the rain. It feels nice and cool against my skin though my burns aren't sure what to think.

It reminds me of Jess.

It's still hard to process that she's dead. I feel like any second now she'll run up to hug me as usual, and ask something like "What mess have you gotten yourself into now?"She was always like that. I never thought I would miss the sound of her voice so much. I guess you never know what you have until its gone...

I'm about to walk home when Mayor appears, having run from another direction. He's panting from a bit of a jog. "There's something you need to see," he says, gesturing towards the great rock formation behind him. I have no idea what he wants me to see, but I follow him back anyway, wondering why no one told me before.

Affixed to the red rock is a plaque. Closer inspection reveals what it says. Its a dedication to Jess Allene, the woman who died at the rock during a storm. She was then buried inferno of it as a memorial to one of the town's most beloved citizens. I also gives her year of birth and death,

I turn to the mayor. "Thank you. I'm sure it means a lot to both of us." I smile the best I can, then start to walk home. I don't know how much more I can take before I start to cry again. While walking through the town, I see the tourists are still flowing in, even though its raining, everyone acts normal. Playing a part, I think. We all know what they don't.

At home I think of making myself something to eat, but I can't bring myself to do it. i dub food would taste like anything right now, anyways. So I walk upstairs and collapse in the soft bedsheets instead. Wishing I could fall asleep forever.

Checking my phone I see all the texts I've received from the townsfolk. I can't help but smile. Even now, they're all still so supportive. I wonder why they gave Jess such a nice burial even after betrayal. It's like they don't even remember she tried to leave...

Then again, maybe they don't remember. Mayor, I think, smiling a little bit. Would house his ability on us? So no one else would remember her in a bad light? Bless his heart.

Before I fell Asleep, I notice a photo on the nightstand that wasn't there before I reach for it and grab the paper, pulling it close. It takes a few seconds for my eyes to adjust, but then I realize what it is. It's a photo of Jess and I in the corner of the photograph it says "I love you too."

I pull it close to my chest. Her last message to me. Out of all the things she could have said, she chose to tell me she loved me.

I fell asleep to the sound of rain and wonder if its raining where she is too.