Storm

"Jess!" I scream, looking around the rock. Thunder booms loudly in the sky like a vengeful spirit. The rain is so heavy I can barely see a thing; everything is made up of vague shapes and colors, and I feel like I'm blind. Even if it weren't so hard to see, Id still have trouble walking straight. The wind seems determined to blow me over.

The rain isn't the only water hitting my face. I realize that I'm crying. Theses warm salty tears contrast the cool, fresh raindrops. This isn't what I wanted, I think to myself. I wanted everyone to be happy. The townsfolk. Myself...Her. Now I can't even see whats in front of me.. I'm left blind, feeling for any objects near the rock. Finally I touch something.

Warm. Soft.

Jess?

---

I wake up in my own house. Strangely enough, Im siting upright, with a coffee cup in my hand. Its a sunny morning as always, and Jess sits across from me looking out the window. Watching the birds as they chirp in a way that sounds so familiar. In fact the whole setting gives me Deja vu. I look at the calendar- its a little over a year ago. Why haven't we put up a new one yet? Thats not the current year.

Its then I realize I'm in a memory.

Jess opens her mouth. "Say Jazzy," she begins and I remember what she says before it comes out. "Who do you love more- the towns people or me?" There it is again. That difficult question, but feeling I can somehow change the outcome, I say something different from last time. Its not an "i down know" or a " I could never choose."

"You." I say, sounding as certain as I can manage. She laughs. For some reason, I want to cry. She has such a beautiful laugh, and I have this odd feeling I may never hear it again. Jess looks at me with kind blue eyes, smiling almost sadly.

"I know thats not true."

Im taken aback. "Of course it is!"

"You can't lie to me. I know you to well,." She says, with this sad, tiny laugh. "Your hearts always been with this town and the people in it. Thats okay, though. You don't need to be ashamed of your choice." Jess won't stop staring at me. Its freaking me out. Its like she can see into my soul. Her flare is strangely just like Mayor's ...

I realize I'm crying just as I realize Jess seems to be fading away. She looks like a ghost against the window; I can see through her to every bird behind, as well as the actual chair behind her back. I know I don't have much time. I leap towards her, trying to hug her, grab her,stop her from disappearing, but theres nothing there. She's gone.

There isn't a cloud in the sky, but I feel rain drops trickle down my face.

---

I stay asleep for a long time.

I don't know how I know this. In my head there is this emptiness, and I walk around in it, searching for a way out. Each potential exit has a flaw of its own. I open doors that lead to no where, Find keys that unlock nothing, and the most frustrating thing is, each time I feel like giving up, the voice of someone I love calls out to me. Oddly, the only voice I haven't heard yes is Jess'. I try to avoid reading to deeply into this.

Finally I sit down. I'm ready to accept my end. I don't know where I am or what, but maybe this is a punishment. I'm not the best person, after all. I wasn't even good to her, and she mattered the most.

Suddenly there is a voice in front of me. "Jazzy?"

I look up. There she is.

She kneels down to hug me, then helps me up. "What are you doing here? You should get going." Jess says while looking me over, searching for any injuries. I look at her now-pale skin that has line etched into it. Like branches of a tree. What are they from?