PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

"Giovanni," I spelled out, gently whispering to myself as I applied the final touch of glitter to his hazel eyes.

He was the perfect portrait. My ideal man. The best representation of my beloved that I was going to hang in our master bedroom.

I yawned and stretched, feeling satisfied but almost losing my balance from the paint smudged stool.

"Oops!" I chuckled as someone firmly held my back, stopping me from tripping.

I turned, expecting it to be Giovanni. It was indeed him, but he was accompanied by two men and a woman.

"I'm Detective Chloe," the lady said, holding her ID up to my face while her other hand rested on her belt badge.

My heart skipped a beat as I bewilderedly wiped my paint-stained hands on my brown apron, which I always wore when I wanted to draw.

"You're under arrest for defamation of character and suspicions of fraud," she announced. I immediately earned a glare from Giovanni, who swiftly rolled up his sleeves before scratching his nape.

I let my messy bun down, removing the band that held it in place.

Giovanni glared at me again as one of the male detectives approached with handcuffs, before learning closer to his portrait, folding his hands to his exposed chest.

I held my hands together, and he cuffed them.

"I didn't do it," I mouthed repeatedly, even as I was being taken away. I turned my head to make sure he read my lips, even though I couldn't see him.

It was going to bring shame upon him, his reputation, and his family—for his wife to be put behind bars, and I needed him more than ever.

It was either he helped me, or I was screwed for life.