Chapter 17: My Lovely Flower

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"I—" I attempt to justify my actions, though close my mouth as there was no way out. "Okay, you're right. I was avoiding you." I sigh.

He raises an eyebrow at me, urging me to continue.

"I just feel like the ladies will see me as a rival or competition if I attempt to get close to you in a group setting," I explain. It sounded extremely lame when I said it, but that is exactly how I felt.

"Are you not?" Emperor Kruos questions me.

I give him a surprised look. "Well...I do not wish for the ladies to see me as competition. I want to get along peacefully with everyone."

Emperor Kruos chuckles at me. "Silly girl. You will always be in competition with the other ladies as long as they are here, even if you try to get along with them. Many of them don't seem too fond of you, despite your attempts at appeasing everyone."

He had a point, unfortunately. I slink down into the chair, confidence diminishing.

"Well, at least I have made a friend through my attempts." My confidence comes back at the thought of Lady Aria.

Emperor Kruos's smile drops a little bit at that, his tone hardening. "Ah, I see. But remember, your objective here is not to make friends."

"It doesn't hurt to make some where I can, while I am still here," I sulk.

"While you are still here? How long do you expect to be here for?" Emperor Kruos tilts his head at me, curious.

I purse my lips before shrugging. "As long until you eliminate me, I guess."

"And how do you know I will do that?" He asked, amusement in his voice.

I furrow my eyebrows at him. "Well...I am not for certain, but I have all the odds against me, so it is unlikely I will be chosen."

Emperor Kruos hums. "Ever heard of the phrase, 'defying all odds'?"

I nod. "Yes, but do I look like someone who can defy all odds?" I give him a pointed look, pointing at myself. Even a blind man can see that.

He shrugs. "You would be surprised."

"What is more surprising is why you have chosen me to be a candidate," I subtly nudged him.

"Why do you think you were chosen?" He questions me.

"Well...I am not sure. That is why I am asking you," I say in an obvious manner.

"Why do you think I chose you?" His majesty grins.

'This man is unbelievable!'

"Stop answering my question with a question!" I growl, annoyed.

"What makes you think I am answering your question with a question?" His eyes light up in mirth.

"You just did it again!" I exclaim, frustrated.

"Did what again?"

"Stop it!" I vexed out.

"Stop what?"

"GAHH!" I throw my head back into the seat, covering my face in frustration. He is doing this to make me mad on purpose...and it is working!

A soft chuckle brings me out of my mental vent.

"Did you eat dinner yet?" Emperor Kruos leaves my question unanswered.

Two can play at that game.

"Did I?" I shoot back, puffing my cheeks.

His majesty looks at me, a hint of what seemed to be adoration swimming underneath the mirth.

"I have not eaten yet. Dine with me." He commands, standing and walking to the office door. He opens it, speaking to a maid who was waiting outside. I see her bow, before whisking off.