8. Lying

-

Wynonna went home after having breakfast with Rafe. He dropped her home, and he had insisted that he had driven her home,and he did, but he didn't stay for long as he had somewhere to be.

Her aunt wasn't home, but she did leave a note saying she went to work and will be back later.

Wynonna hasn't checked her phone since JJ sent her that photo of the letter. Her phone was dead, so she put it to charge in her room, and she went to take a shower.

She didn't take so long in the shower, but she spent more time drying her hair than anything.

She gave up on it after a minute , leaving it damp and curly. She changed into some simple pair of gym shorts with one of JJ'S t-shirts that he left in the house when he spent the night.

She didn't bother with makeup. She barely even owned an eyeliner. She didn't really like makeup. It made her face feel ichy and weird. So, she just went natural. It made her less pretty than every other girl on the island, but it made her comfortable.

She headed downstairs, the house felt warm,the summer breeze coming through the open windows.

As she headed into the kitchen to make herself some ice tea, her thoughts went back to her parents.

It was horrible to even think that her parents were murdered. They were good people, and she didn't know why people wanted to murder her parents.

Maybe they were hiding something. She did remember that they left for some vacation days.

They called once a day, but they didn't say much about their vacation days. She remembered them quietly talking with her aunt a few times when she was outside.

That was odd. She needed to find out what they were hiding. She could keep herself busy with that instead of her mind spiraling and heading into a tunnel of deep depression.

"..since when do you have a key to Birdy's house? I don't even have a key to Birdy's house!" Kiara's voice rang out through the house, and Wynonna thought she imagined it for a second.

"..she gave it to me after I snuck in through her window. Are we really talking about this? We need to find her." JJ'S voice rang out, and Wynonna walked out of the kitchen, finding her friends walking through her front door.

"You came through the doggy door, JJ." Wynonna spoke up, causing everyone to turn their attention to her.

"Birdy!" JJ ran over to her, wrapping his arms around her and lifting her up, swinging her around with a laugh.

"You're alive! And not kidnapped!" JJ said, and Wynonna chuckled before she was crushed by the rest of her friends.

"Um..not that I love hugs, but what's the occasion?" Wynonna questioned, and her friends pulled, JJ still had his arms around her.

"We are so sorry, birdy." Kiara said, and Wynonna raised an eyebrow at her.

"For what? You guys were busy last night. It's fine.. Wait, you guys thought I was kidnapped?" Wynonna asked, glancing at JJ, who noticed that he still had his arms around her, and he smiled at her before letting his arms fall to his side.

"Well, you texted us to leave you alone, and you never say that,like ever,so we thought you were kidnapped." Pope explained, and John B nodded.

Wynonna looked at them, confused, "I never texted you guys that. My phone has been dead since last night, I mean, I lost it at first at the party, but when I found it, it was dead already. It should be fully charged by now."

She didn't tell them that she saw the message that JJ sent. They already had enough to worry about, like the gold and finding John B's father, she did not want to add on to that.

"Wait, what party? You went to a party without me?" JJ questioned, looking down at Wynonna

"Hey, I texted you guys if you wanted to hang out. y'all said you were busy." Wynonna replied with a shrug.

"So, you didn't see any of the text messages after our group chat?" Kiara questioned, sharing a look with the others.

"Nope, I lost my phone right after that. Bunch of Damm Kooks started a fight with a bunch of us, crashed the party, and heck, you guys missed one heck of a party." Wynonna lied, feeling bad about it.

"Can I borrow your phone? Mines dead." Kiara suddenly questioned, and Wynonna nodded her head.

"Sure, upstairs, charging." Kiara nodded, sharing a look with the others before she headed to Wynonna's room.

"You guys hungry?" Wynonna moved aside JJ and headed back towards the kitchen.

JJ noticed that she was wearing his shirt, and he felt proud about it.

"So, uh, birdy, you didn't see my message last night? The one I sent afterward?" JJ questioned following after her.

"Nope, wait, it wasn't another dirty message that was meant for one of your hookups, was it?" Wynonna asked, and JJ quickly shook his head.

"Shh! We were supposed to keep that between us." He whispered, shouted as the others came into the kitchen, and Wynonna chuckled.

"I don't think it's much of a secret." She told him, passing him a glass of ice tea.

"Pretty sure, you sent us all a dirty text." Pope piped up, nodding his head in thanks as Wynonna passed him a glass of ice tea doing the same with Sarah and John B.

She got one for Kiara.

Kiara came down a few seconds later, sending a look towards the others, and she smiled at Wynonna, thanking her for the glass of ice tea.

"Food! Birdy, I want food!" JJ rushed over to the fridge, and Wynonna playful rolled her eyes, pushing JJ aside, both of them looking through the fridge.

Sarah seemed to notice their behavior while the other thought it was normal. She saw the way they smiled at each other, the way they playfully shoved each other and teased each other.

They loved each other, she saw it clear as day but their behavior was normal for the others.

Sarah had to admit, they looked cute together, even if JJ did hate her.

------------------

Word count - 1057

Thoughts?