7] Heir for a Day

Start from the beginning

Ravenna peered over the Keep's ledge and saw those who were training, he then started to walk down the steps, "Come with me."

Ravenna looked confused but she followed her brother anyway, down the steps into the courtyard. Lysander picked up two swords holding one out for his sister, "Mother is saying you're living in the clouds lately." Lysander said, he knew a lot of people were not going to like what the siblings were planning on doing but he couldn't care less.

Ravenna laughed, "Maegon would love that. It's nice to get away from the voices and...thoughts of others."

Being up in the clouds she didn't have to worry about what people were saying about her, her family or anything else. She could just be free with her dragon in the best way possible.

She swung first, making Lysander take a step away. The two swords hit again, Lysander ducking as he spun, the sword hitting the back of his sisters leg, "That was poor, you can do better than that. Stop letting me through."

"Don't go easy on him!" Raziel called from the side of the yard, his own sword in hand

Ravenna grinned, "As you wish, brother."

This time Ravenna caught Lysander with the sword. She widely smiled for the first time in a while. The siblings set to practice again with the eldest sibling watching them with pride, other people in the yard began to watch them. They both knew they were going to get scolded for Ravenna even picking up a sword, but they both needed the time. They weren't from Westeros anyway, if an Altaran woman wanted to pick up a sword she could.

With pride, Lysander laughed, putting his arm around Ravenna, rubbing her arm, "Well done."

Raziel snuck up from behind Lysander and jumped on his back, laughing. It wasn't typical of a crown prince but he didn't care. 

From above, Alastair and Haelys watched the two dragons dance around each other. Haelys smiled at her children.

"I've been concerned about them all as of late." Alastair admitted not taking his eyes off of them 

Haelys hummed, hands on the wall, "For good reason...Raziel being considered as heir, the rumours around the Keep about Prince Cregan. It seems we are the centre of something we don't want to be in."

"It's not true about Ravenna and Cregan, you know that. You know who she truly has her eyes on."

The Queen didn't care that her daughter loved another, she knew it would have to end eventually and when it happened she would be there to help her daughter, but she couldn't interfere in it. Ravenna had to make her own mistakes.

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

Everyone in the courtyard could hear the Raven siblings smiling and laughing it would seem they had finally got back on path, "I best you, it is that simple."

Lysander shook his head, "I let you..." 

Raziel stopped the pair and stood in front of them, "Rav, we need to ask, you know we do."

Ravenna's smile faded slightly and she nodded, she knew what was coming, her feeling was right, "Ask away."

"You and Cregan Stark in the Tavern? The day of the funeral."

Lysander was apprehensive to ask, he didn't want to upset his sister that was the last thing that he ever wanted to do, but if he was to defend her he needed to know everything, if both of the Morrigan men needed to defend their sister they needed to know everything that could have happened, "Nothing happened. I swear." And they believed her, of course they did. There was nothing she could say that would make them not believe her.

"Well that's interesting." Raevnna commented when she spotted Rhaenyra and Alicent walking towards them. The two girls had barely talked to the siblings since Aemma's funeral. Rhaenyra looked upset, "Cousin?"

"The heir for a day." Rhaenyra practically spat.

The siblings looked at each other neither knowing what Rhaenyra was talking about, "I am no heir here, Cousin. I don't-"

Rhaenyra cut Raziel off, "Daemon said my brother was the heir for a day." Rhaenyra's anger wasn't at them as it seemed. She was angry with Daemon. Someone was always angry with Daemon. "He celebrated. As did the Northmen."

This time it was Ravenna who looked up, "They were not celebrating. They were honouring Queen Aemma and Prince Baelon."

Ravenna knew that Daemon was in the town at the same time she was, but she wasn't aware that he had said those things. She could guess who it came from and she didn't give Otto Hightower any belief. She never had.

The two girls sat down with the trio, "How could he say something so cruel?" Rhaenyra didn't understand, "the King's Hand heard it before I did."

Otto seemed to have his hand in everything, opinions, voices and decisions. How he did it was beyond everyone's understanding, "Our fathers are speaking to Daemon in the Throne room. He is no doubt to be exiled again..."

Ravenna glanced at Alicent, "Your father does speak an awful lot about my family, doesn't he. Do we know for sure Daemon said those things?"

Rhaenyra went to speak but then shut her mouth as there was no proof to it. Alicent shook her head, "My Father is an honourable man."

"The day Otto Hightower becomes an honourable man is a day I don't think any of us are ever going to see."

At the final words of the princess, the three Morrigan's stood up and walked back into the Red Keep, "Years I have watched and now I need to say it...you can't carry on your...dalliance with Mat."

Ravenna stopped walking, staring at her brothers, she could hide nothing from Raziel, she knew every time he felt something but Lysander on the other hand was at a slight disadvantage, "I'm sorry, I am. Listen we're your brothers and we love you, but you need to know who you're dealing with...Rav he started the rumours about you and Cregan at the tavern, and that Cregan had fucked all the whores in Flea Bottom. He is a good man, he wouldn't disrespect you in that way."

"You don't know what you're talking about."

Lysander took her hands, "Cregan is a friend. Think about it, have you heard anything about him from anyone else?"

She hadn't.

She knew that Mat was against the marriage but of course he would be. He knew that if Ravenna entertained Cregan, letting him into her heart even slightly then Mat would be cast aside.

The Princess couldn't give two people her heart. It wasn't how she worked, it wouldn't feel right to her.

"He wouldn't." Ravenna denied, she trusted her brothers more than she trusted anyone else she knew that they wouldn't say those things unless they were sure. Ravenna lowered her voice as she moved the pair to the side, "He loves me."

Raziel squeezed her hand tighter as Lysander spoke, "Does he? Maybe he did at one point. With no disrespect, he fucks a princess." Ravenna lightly scoffed at Lysanders bluntness, but tact had never been his strong suit, "It's true. Where else is he going to get that? He's a street rat. If he loved you he wouldn't say you and Cregan...were together. Tell me something, do you have feelings for the Prince? And does Mat know that?"

For weeks Raevnna had tried to deny it. But Cregan had been perfect, he had been patient and kind. He knew what she needed and even though she denied him continuously he was still always there.

"He knows." 

Raziel nodded, a sorry look on his face, "Of course he does...because he knows you too well. IF he saw something that made him want to change things he would end up like Miriam." 

Thank you for reading 

Mat is one complicated man

Comment and Vote :)